Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Registry Fix?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tina2006

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:02 PM

:thumbsup: Do those expensive registry repairs work and are they any good at fixing driver and atapi problems? I don't want to spend forty bucks if it won't help fix the problem. Thanks in advance. Tina

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:23 AM

I've spent money for registry "repair" programs only to find that free ones actually work as good if not better.
The pricier ones simply add "weight" to the program with angles designed to make it seem like you can
just press a button and "it'll do the driving" for you. Safely.

I think it's better to use one that you can count on to just identify the problems, stated clearly enough to understand, allow you to choose whether or not to act, on a individual case basis if necessary, accomplish the modification it states it will do, and quickly once you decide what to do.

A few things to keep in mind with all of these registry programs:

One value they have is in familiarizing you with the fact registry errors do occur.
The "severity" of the identified problems is not really an issue like some programs present it as.
(you can have 100's of errors and still be experiencing no ill effects at all).
It will take work on your part to understand how the application works,
none claim "fail safe" operation & several just plain put the burden
of responsibility on you by stating "conclusions found, you decide".

Others wrap the action they take in "generalities" and truly are not nearly as discriminating about "repairs"
as ones that do identify specifically ... but allow for "user determination of appropriate action".
Over time, I found I lost confidence in them because I never really knew what they did.

Bottomline imho is buyer beware.

If you want to use registry cleaners, you should want to learn why you should.
Expect it to take some time on your part to fully appreciate what is involved.

Fixing driver and atapi problems is not confined to registry "cleaning".
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:10 PM

If you do use any program that alters the registry I suggest you backup your registry before you use it.

Most of these kind of aps give you that option as you start them up.

#4 ericthered

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:35 AM

Depending on the situation a lot of the times driver issues
can be solved by going to the vendor website and looking for updated drivers or even rolling back the drivers to a earlier version. If you are familar with device manager. Look for flagged devices or start disabling devices you don't need and reboot. This can narrow down a possible problem between two devices. registry tools aren't going to help in that regard.

There is a good tool just coming out that I endorse.
It called XpRepair Pro 2006. It runs on 9x 2k and XP. Here is the link and good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users