Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard-drive locked after reboot.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 idspence161

idspence161

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

I have 3 hard drives,

• A 500GB Internal
  • A 250GB Internal
  • A 500GB External (USB)
On Hard-drive 1, I am running Windows 7. On 2 I am running the Windows 8 Dev Preview, and my external is a backup. I was switching from my Windows 7 to Windows 8 to do some software testing, but missed the bios, so I just held the power button and hard-reset'd the computer, went into W8, did what I needed to do (Even went into my W7 drive and grabbed a file). But when I restarted it went into Start-up Repair and checked for disk errors, it did that for about 4 hours, restarted and just locked up at the stage between the Windows Boot logo and the login screen, (Black screen with a cursor). I left it for another 5-6 hours and nothing happened, so I turned it off and went back into W8, now I cant gain access to my W7 drive, when I try exploring to it, I get a Access Denied warning, when I try to navigate to it using command prompt, I get a Access Denied message.

The hard-drive is visible in Disk Management, and the Properties window is usable (Shows actual stats, unlike the properties in Windows Explorer that shows nothing)

What can I do to unlock my drive? I don't need it to boot, just would like the have my latest files as opposed to the backup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 amstadaM

amstadaM

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

I would move this topic into the Windows 8 forum.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - A. Einstein

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

To gain access to Win 7 files from another O/S...you probably have to take ownership of the files.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-access-denied-when-opening-files-or-folders

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users