Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer registry problems?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 channeek

channeek

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

I was having trouble with my computer (it's a Sony Vaio) and ultimately ran the Vaio Care process and the One-Step review. After the review completed, it identified some maintenance issues to be addressed, including some disc clean-up (never had a problem with this) and 1 registry fix. I completed the clean-up recommended and restarted, but once my computer restarted, none of my .exe files will open. I receive the following error every time I attempt to open/run any .exe file (application/software .exe's, command prompts, etc):

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."

As far as I can tell, nothing else is wrong as my computer starts up, runs, and I can even open all my software applications if I can find a back way in. For example, I can't open any Microsoft Office elements from the task bar, start menu, or program file locations but if I open a word doc from my saved files Word will open and I can then open other/new files from there. Similarly, my ESET anivirus won't automatically load/start when I turn my computer on, but if I go find the updater.dll file, I can then browse and open/run ESET that way to launch it. I managed to open Mozilla in a similar way to post this message.

I'm pretty sure that the Sony Vaio Care process jacked my registry but I'm not sure how to work-around and find either a back-up made by Vaio Care or pull the registry from somewhere else and use it as a back-up to fix the problem. I did work with someone on here at the beginning of Nov to clear some malicious items from my computer, so maybe there's a way to use that information to correct my registry? (I have all kinds of files still saved on my computer and probably have the information in my old posting). Or is there something else I should try? I have a back-up image of my computer that I made about 2 hours before this all started, but because the current problem is with .exe files, I can't find a back way into the back-up to use it.

Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

Run chkdsk /r from an elevated command prompt.
This can be achieved by clicking on the Start menu, then selecting All Programs, and then Accessories.
You will now see a shortcut labeled Command Prompt. Right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
Type or copy / paste chkdsk /r in the space and then reboot.

Once that has finished (abouy 1 hour or so) repeat the same process and use sfc /scannow
Let us know how that goes -

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 29 November 2011 - 03:38 AM.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:19 AM

Restore Default Windows 7 File Extension Type Associations http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

#4 michelle_denise

michelle_denise

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:03 AM

daoh, Go to the link below and download and run the EXE file association fix for Windows 7. Instructions are are the page. I'm assuming that the problem computer is Windows 7.

visit for the solution : http://www.techyv.com/questions/having-computer-registry-problems

#5 channeek

channeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

noknojon: Unfortunately I can't get the command prompt to run even via the method you suggested.

Union_Thug: Is there a way for me to back-up what I've currently got for registry keys? I guess I'm a little hesitant to do something else to my registry without a back-up. Will restoring the default extension type associations make things any worse? How do I know which registry files I need to reset, or do I just start with the .exe files?

I did realize a little bit ago that I do have a back-up of my registry from a couple of days ago (the 24th)...

#6 channeek

channeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:25 AM

michelle_denise: The link you provided doesn't have any information on that page (although I think I got it from Union_Thug's post)...and same question as I posed earlier, will this make things any worse for my existing registry?

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

...Union_Thug: Is there a way for me to back-up what I've currently got for registry keys? I guess I'm a little hesitant to do something else to my registry without a back-up.

Backup your registry: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

Will restoring the default extension type associations make things any worse?

Maybe, maybe not, that's why it's always wise to backup your registry when making changes. I would do all three methods described in the link I provided above. ERUNT is highly recommended by many here @BC, I use it regularly....

...I was having trouble with my...Sony Vaio...ran the Vaio Care process and the One-Step review...

What Is VAIO Care?

VAIO Care is a software program for VAIO computers that enables users to clean and maintain their system's performance. It can also be set to perform all options on a recurring basis. For business customers, it is also a service that offers priority service and support and trade-in offers.

Maintenance

VAIO Care can be used to defragment, clean the registry and clear old files from areas such as temporary Internet files. This keeps the computer running faster and performing better overall.

Or NOT as it were. In your case it appears the program mentioned above has already done a successful job of BORKING your registry, so it's my opinion at this point that running the fix(es) I linked to won't make things worse...YMMV.

Perhaps running the .exe fix will enable you not only to run your installed programs, but will enable you to run the chkdsk & sfc scannow commands described in noknojon's post...your best first option in this case, IMO

How do I know which registry files I need to reset, or do I just start with the .exe files?

I would go with just the .exe fix for starters, then attempt the chkdsk and/or sfc scannow as suggested by noknojon

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 29 November 2011 - 08:27 AM.

#8 channeek

channeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

Union_Thug: All those registry back-up options require that I be able to execute a command, which is what I can't do without a back way in (ie having a word doc to open to access Word, using a back-up or my bookmarks to open Firefox, etc). I do have a back-up of my registry from the 24th that was created using CCleaner, and it's in the correct format of regedit. Don't know if I can use that as a back-way in or not, or if maybe I should just try and restore my registry using it? Is that a better place to start than the .exe fix? I guess I'm looking for the cleanest solution to get my registry working again and as you and noknojon suggested running the other stuff.

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

If it were my machine I would try JUST the exe fix and take it from there, with one IMPORTANT caveat: Do you have/does someone you know have any re-installation media such as DVD/USB installation media or do you have an OEM recovery partition installed/did you burn a System repair DVD just in case? Can you/have you tried booting to the Advanced Boot Options / System Recovery Options / Startup Repair options? If so, you could try one of those options to repair/reinstall/reset to factory, etc...then use the backup image you mentioned in your OP.

You may want to double check with one of BC's staff/moderators before proceeding, as I am in no way an expert. I'd probably ask a Moderator/Admin via PM to have a look at this topic.

Hope this helps. :)

#10 channeek

channeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

I did create at least one system repair dvd when I got the computer (and actually may have made two...can't remember). And I think the computer came with a pre-installed back-up partition but no idea how to access it (that's WAY beyond my abilities). I did try a System Recovery boot option, but I can't access my two most recent back-ups that way (again, I think it has something to do with the .exe problem) so would have to recover back to a Feb-11 backup. I guess if I did that, I would be able to then use my back-up image? Thankfully (or maybe not) I've never had this type of extensive problems to deal with. Some thoughts to ponder today at work...

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.sonytalk.com/avoid-vaio-care-t125209.html .

Louis

#12 channeek

channeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

With some help from an IT guy at work I was able to restore my computer using a restore point. I did receive an error that said it didn't work, but in reality it did because everything is working again. After running my virus scans to make sure I haven't picked anything up, should I still go through the steps suggested by noknojon? I'm thinking yes, just to be sure nothing else is jacked.

I can see more back-ups & restore points in my future, as well as yet another reminder for why I wasn't using the Vaio features to begin with.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

should I still go through the steps suggested by noknojon? I'm thinking yes, just to be sure nothing else is jacked.

I would, as they are the 2 programs that I run first. Your IT pal Should be able to show you the basics -

Regards -
EDIT from the link by hamluis -
""I bought a Vaio notebook late last year, VGN-NW280F that came with Windows 7 Home Premium. Last weekend I responded to a Vaio Care prompt, urging me to let it "clean" and "defragment", including the registry, to improve performance. Huge mistake. The result was corruption of the Windows 7 operating system. All of the shortcuts to my installed programs including ""

Edited by noknojon, 29 November 2011 - 02:22 PM.

#14 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

I can see more back-ups & restore points in my future, as well as yet another reminder for why I wasn't using the Vaio features to begin with.

Glad you got it sorted out, I'd be curious to know what the IT guy did to fix this...System restore from a command prompt maybe?

As for the Sony Vaio "Clean Up" drek... I'd LOSE IT...immediately, if not sooner. You mentioned CCleaner in one of your posts...IMO it's a fine product (I use it myself) but it's not the "be all end all" that some claim it to be, just one of the tools I use, however DO NOT use the reg cleaner, or any other reg cleaner...they don't improve system performance and can SERIOUSLY break stuff as you've found out the hard way. The best description I've read re: reg cleaners (I believe it was on the Aumha Forums) was something like this: Using a registry cleaner is comparable to cleaning one parking space in a parking lot the size of Montana... or words to that effect.

Run the sfc scannow as noknojon advised.

Just my .02 :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 29 November 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#15 channeek

channeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

Yep, the IT guy at work helped me get to a place where I could run a system restore (had to go through the F8 option on start-up). The first restore point ultimately filed and was deleted, so I had to run it a second time with a different point which worked. I spent last night running virus scans, the scans noknojon recommended (nothing found once the restore was completed, so that's a bonus), and a new back-up. And this morning I ran a new back-up system image (better safe than sorry) and a new recovery disc (I now have multiple restore/recovery discs).

Not sure how to turn off the Vaio Care feature so I don't get all the reminders, but that will be the next big project so I don't have to go through this again.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback - it's much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users