Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded my Router But Still Have the Same Speed...?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 toicy4ya

toicy4ya

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hi All,

I previously owned a Linksys WRT54G V.8 wireless router, I upgraded my router to a DLink DIR-655 N Router in hopes to improve my internet download speeds. As a comparison I ran several online speed test for both routers. However, All test yielded similar results with minimal improvements. I also downloaded large files utilizing rapidshare's download manager, again with no improvement in download speed. I thought moving from a G to an N router would improve my download speeds. The drivers on the DLink router are current.

Are there any tweaks or tricks i can do to increase my download speeds?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dell Dimension 1545 Laptop
Windows XP
Intel WiFi Link 5100 Mini Wireless Card

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JustGoThere

JustGoThere

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

Your network connection to the router has no effect on your Internet providers line speed...

You simply changed the speed you connect with your router (moving from 802.11G to 802.11N) Respectively, connection speeds of 54Mbps(G), 130-150Mbps(N).

Some quick math will tell you (at very best, but not reality) 150Mbps (Mega bits per second) is equal to 18.8Mb/ps (Mega bytes per second)

So the Fastest you could ever hope for would be 18MB Per second while connected via wireless (actually a top speed of 15MB might be the practical limit). If for some reason you have an internet connection that is rated for 20Mb (or more) Download speeds you can't even touch that while connected wirelessly. (The wired connection is the fastest - for now)

Also consider the destination site while downloading your file, do you feel they have a big fat +20MB pipe coming directly to your house? They may not have the capability to upload data that fast, so no matter what YOU do... it's only going to come as fast as it can... even if you have some massive Fiber line at 150MB+ it may only download at 1.5MB/sec.

Hope that helps...
JGT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users