Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

partitioning the hard drive in Win7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

i just got a new inspiron 15r with 64bit 7 home...

it has a 640gb hard drive that my nephew partitioned for me but the program partition is HUGE...

301 for the C: (programs and such) and only 280 for the E: (storage)...

i primarily only run an OS, a few drivers (sound, graphics, CorelDraw and the like). i would prefer the C: partition to be about 150-200gb in size so i can use the storage for larger files...

i poked around some looking for the partition function in 7 and when i found it, it appeared that that was the best it could do. something about the unmovable files...

would a clean install maybe allow for this to be set up the way i want?

Edited by ltdave, 28 November 2011 - 07:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

Tekken

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

yeah, that is exactly what i did but i cant get C: any smaller because theres a huge block of unmovable files on the HDD that is preventing that particular drives reduction...

i have to figure out how to move them from the middle of the drive...

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

I don't get what you mean a huge block. If you don't have a free space for the drive to shrink, then that could be the problem.

Edited by jhayz, 29 November 2011 - 09:11 PM.

Tekken

#5 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

I don't get what you mean a huge block. If you don't have a free space for the drive to shrink, then that could be the problem.

what i mean is i have a

theres a huge block of unmovable files

IN THE bleep MIDDLE OF my hdd. i have PLENTY of free space but they are UNMOVEABLE...

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

This link will help you http://thpc.info/how/shrink_partition_in_windows_7_vista.html

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users