Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete folder

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xkrazicalebx

xkrazicalebx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

Okay, so I have pretty much tried everything to delete this folder on my external HDD, yet nothing works. Every time I try to delete it says "You require premission to change this folder." Changed the permissions. Nothing. I even managed to get the lock off of the folder but it still wont delete. I restarted my computer, downladed LockHunter and a couple other programs. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

What is the folder and from where did it come?

#3 xkrazicalebx

xkrazicalebx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

I have no idea where it came from. I just noticed it, but it says it was added this morning at 3am. The folder name is "533e028f47e5d630198214e3" and really shouldnt be on my external drive because I only use it for music and games.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:48 PM

I believe that was created during a Windows Update but I'm not sure why it's on your external drive. Try Move On Boot and tell it to delete the folder on the next boot
http://emcosoftware.com/move-on-boot

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

FWIW: I've started using Unlocker for such situations.

Louis

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

Unlocker is also an excellent utility - I keep both MoveOnBoot and Unlocker installed on all my systems - generally one or the other will work.

#7 xkrazicalebx

xkrazicalebx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

FWIW: I've started using Unlocker for such situations.

Louis

Yeah, that was one of the programs I used with no success. The unlock button wasn't even "clickable." Kept saying "cannot delete" when I tried the delete button.

#8 xkrazicalebx

xkrazicalebx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

Just tried MoveOnBoot, but when I try to delete the folder it says, "The folder from a removable drive cannot be deleted."

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

hmmm. Okay, let's try this. Take ownership of the folder (might as well add the option to your context menu: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/) and then try to delete it. If that doesn't work, try booting to safe mode and deleting it. If that doesn't work, run chkdsk /r on the drive (for example, if the drive is E: drive, the command would be chkdsk e: /r). I'm assuming you've rebooted before trying to delete it, yes?

If none of these things work you can leave it alone. It's harmless.

#10 xkrazicalebx

xkrazicalebx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

hmmm. Okay, let's try this. Take ownership of the folder (might as well add the option to your context menu: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/) and then try to delete it. If that doesn't work, try booting to safe mode and deleting it. If that doesn't work, run chkdsk /r on the drive (for example, if the drive is E: drive, the command would be chkdsk e: /r). I'm assuming you've rebooted before trying to delete it, yes?

If none of these things work you can leave it alone. It's harmless.

Yeah, I tried all of that first. It told me "Folder access is denied," even when I take ownership. Safe mode doesn't work either. I moved some files over to that drive at about that time, but in a specific folder. I never put files in the root, which is where it is.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

And you've tried changing the permissions of the folder as well (right-click - properties - security)?

Edited by Allan, 28 November 2011 - 06:41 PM.

#12 xkrazicalebx

xkrazicalebx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

Yes, did that as well.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

My guess is that said folder...is one of those temporary folders created by various programs for downloading music, videos, etc or bit-torrent software...or backup software.

I have a copy of someone's hard drive on my system and it has one such folder...he uses Bear Share (although I have advised against such). But these folders can usually be deleted by taking ownership.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users