Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

allowed indexing of external hard drive - most folders now empty

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Suzze

Suzze

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

Hi everyone,

I have windows 7 (only recently upgraded from xp) on my Dell Latitude D420 laptop. I attached my external hard drive and a message appeared to ask if I wanted to allow indexing and that this would speed up searching. I very stupidly clicked ok. Now when I open the folders on my external HD, they are mostly all empty. However, the available memory space has not changed and so I have no idea what is going on. Would system restore do any good? Can anyone help the computer illiterate??

Thanks in advance,

Susie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

Not sure that you are not misplacing cause/effect here.

Indexing normally involves nothing other than slowing the system down...I've never seen an instance documented where anything untoward happened as the result of using it.

Generally...when files begin to disappear...I think malware or partition problems.

No error messages onscreen?

Louis

#3 Suzze

Suzze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hi Louis,

thanks for getting back to me, you might be right. possibly it wasn't the indexing - I just happened to notice files missing after I clicked ok to indexing. No other error messages.

Cheers,

Susie

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

Have you recently run the chkdsk /r command on that drive?

Start/Run...type chkdsk ? /r (where ? equals drive letter for external drive) and hit Enter. If screen comes up and indicates that chkdsk /r cannot be done now...post the exact wording of the message.

Any error messages in Event Viewer...indicating a problem with the drive?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

#5 Suzze

Suzze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hi Louis,

thanks for getting back to me again! I connected my external HD tonight and all the empty folders now have the contents back?? Very strange, I've no idea what happened but glad they are back now obviously. Thanks you very much for your help.

all the best,

Susie

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users