Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HARD DRIVE ISSUE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LoneGeek

LoneGeek

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

I'm having hard drive problems, my hdd was working fine this morning (boots up,transfers etc just fine) and then I opened it up (my case) and blew the dust out this afternoon then after that my hdd starts making a strange buzzing sound (not sure if buzzing is the right word) and my bios isn't detecting it anymore so I hooked it up to my laptop using my universal hdd adapter and it won't show up in my computer and when I put my ear to it, it sounds normal no clicking or any other strange sounds so what could the culprit be?
Could the board on it be bad?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

Could be when you have do some cleaning you accidentally knocking the hard drive power cable and the cord is not in a position to make the fit / loose and create electrical short circuit on the hardrive, that's why you heard strange buzzing sound.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 LoneGeek

LoneGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

Could be when you have do some cleaning you accidentally knocking the hard drive power cable and the cord is not in a position to make the fit / loose and create electrical short circuit on the hardrive, that's why you heard strange buzzing sound.

Is that fixable if that's what happened?

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

That depend what damage that your Hardrive get.

Try to plug it to another Computer that have Windows based or Linux based and does it detected or not.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 LoneGeek

LoneGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

That depend what damage that your Hardrive get.

Try to plug it to another Computer that have Windows based or Linux based and does it detected or not.

I've done that and it turns on but windows won't detect it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users