Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scubab

scubab

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Good Afternoon,
My friend is contemplating upgrading his desktop and had some questions for me that I am not sure about.
He currently has a 600W PSU and that is all he has told me about the PSU.
He is looking at purchasing a new mobo, a new GPU, and a new CPU.
I am fairly confident he has a PCI power connector on the PSU as he has a fairly decent Raedon card currently.
Would a 600W PSU work with these items? I'm assuming so, but with the GPU requiring a minimum of 450W I feel uneasy telling him for sure his PSU is fine. Is the 450 going to be solely required to run the GPU leaving only 150 for everything else?
If any other PSU info is needed, I can try to get that from him.
Thanks!

Edited by scubab, 28 November 2011 - 02:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Generally when they say 450watt Power supply needed that is to ensure having enough power to run everything. Drives, Motherboard, & Video card.

In fact looking at the link you supplied shows

"System Requirements
150W Maximum Graphics Card Power (W)
450W Minimum System Power Requirement (W)"

Meaning the card needs a max of 150 watts and with a 450 watt P/S there is 300 watts left for everything else. with a 600 watt supply there will be more than enough power from 600 watts.

CPU shows
"Thermal Design Power 125W"

still plenty of power from 600 watt supply. Might want to think Intel I5 "Thermal Design Power
95W" or I7 "Thermal Design Power
95W" they will use less power and probably run cooler.

Edited by rotor123, 28 November 2011 - 05:02 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

Thank you very much, rotor123!
I've only started working on PCs within the past two years, but I haven't really had to know much with power distribution up until now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

FWIW: If your friend...is "upgrading"/replacing motherboard, CPU...there's a good chance he needs to also buy new RAM and a version of Windows.

Louis

#5 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

If your friend...is "upgrading"/replacing motherboard, CPU...there's a good chance he needs to also buy new RAM and a version of Windows.

Louis

He has ordered some new DDR3 to compliment his motherboard and has a reusable key for his W7..we're on top of that :)

#6 westom

westom

• Banned
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

I've only started working on PCs within the past two years, but I haven't really had to know much with power distribution up until now.

A 1000 watt supply might be too small. Wattages says almost nothing. Important is current for each voltage. A 1000 watt supply that does not provide sufficient current on one voltage can still fail.

Most all computers only consume between 100 and 200 watts. In one rare case, someone reported his larger system consumed as much as 420 watts.

So let's put both paragraphs together. Since most computer assemblers do not learn from numbers, then we first calculate actual power consumption (ie 300 watts). Then tell them buy a supply that is at least double that size. Most then assume that a two times too large supply (600 watts) is what the computer actually consumes. Too many assume rather than measure.

How hot is your computer? Is it as hot as the kitchen toaster? If not, then it consumes no where near to 600 watts. Those above two paragraphs explain why so many recommend massively oversized supplies. And why that 600 watt supply (that probably only outputs 450 watts max) is more than sufficient.

Is the power supply sufficient? A too small supply will often be identified immediately with a multimeter. Normal is for an undersized supply to still power a computer months or a year without fault. Just because the computer works does not say the supply is OK or large enough. Is your new supply defective or undersized? A meter can identify that immediately - months before failure happens.

Since these simple electrical concepts are not well known, many will simply recommend a 600 or 900 watt supply. Better is to simply connect that 600 watt supply to the new system, ask what to do, and know without doubt whether that supply is sufficient. The only useful answer will say so due to measurement numbers.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

The main problem with too big a power supply as I see it is that running it lightly loaded can lower it's efficiency.
That can lead to wasted electricity. I do care about paying for wasted electricity.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users