Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A disk read error occured

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 linwiz

linwiz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

I am working on a laptop for my brother, Compaq evo 610c. It has windows xp professional on it. after the bios screen, an error pops up,
A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I can access the drive and all the files in a linux live distro, and also in recovery console. I have tried to chkdsk /r but it did not fix the problem. It did say it had errors, whether or not they were fixed, I don't know. I have also run fixboot. I ran a hard drive check from the bios as well. I see nothing pointing to a faulty hard drive, but just some windows file corrupted. I am trying to avoid re-installing windows due to the numerous programs that are installed. I'm leery to try fixmbr because I don't want to lose the contents of the hard drive. If i haven't provided enough information let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=344596&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=344596&objectID=c00832290

Louis

#3 linwiz

linwiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

I am backing up the hard drive now, It will probably take all night, plus I will be at work until 4:30a. once completed I am going to try fixmbr. I expect that the hard drive doesn't need to be "reseated", since I have full access to it (I am backing it up after all). I have changed the boot orders around, and back. Is there any hope in repairing this?

EDIT:
i ran fixmbr and received the following message:

** CAUTION **

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.

Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?

I ran fixmbr and it said it wrote a new mbr successfully, but it still says Disk read error when trying to boot.
the files are still on the disk as well.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=344596&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=344596&objectID=c00832290

Louis

Edited by linwiz, 28 November 2011 - 02:28 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart, generally means a bad spot on the hard drive. Have you run the hard drive diagnostics from the drive maker?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

You have a Compaq system.

OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) systems may have nonstandard boot sections. Hence the warning about nonstandard boot records. I know that this makes running fixmbr on Dells...have consequences beyond possibly repairing, but I don't know if such applies to HP systems.

If I were you, I would stick strictly to the HP guidance/suggestions.

FWIW: Those fixmbr warnings come up routinely...they come up on my systems and I have MS valid installs, no OEM systems. I ignore them.

Louis

#6 linwiz

linwiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:38 AM

Well, I went ahead and formatted the drive. The first installation of windows booted fine. I get to reinstall now, seems I am having activation issues with the key on the bottom of my brothers laptop. Thanks for the attempts in helping me resolve the disk read errors.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

Glad you resolved it :).

I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...on any drive before I reformatted it...it may not be worthwhile to try the format/reinstall Windows option for that drive...and I like to know that before I begin such.

I suggest that you run the diagnostic even now...just for the sake of eliminating a common source of any disk error message.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users