Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 purplehazeus

purplehazeus

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

After removing a virus, my 3rd hard drive is no longer being recognize. My apologies if this should be in hardware, but I didn't know if it was something that had to do with windows 7
The virus was anti-virus protection 2011.I used antizeroaccess, stopzilla,avg(which is my normal antivirus), malwarebytes, and kapersky
Yes all of them. It was a nasty virus.
My main hard drive c: shows up as well as my second drive. e:. My other drive used to show up as well as f: but since all of this it hasn't. Nothing else was changed besides resetting the cmos battery and a couple of disconnect reconnections, becasue the drive wasn't showing up.
Ide channel 0 master and Ide channel 0 slave (set to cable select). are the 2 hd's
Ide channel 4 is a disk drive.

The 3rd HD is also set to cable select. but that shouldn't matter cause that's what it was set to before.

I also tried another spare hard drive I had with the same connections as the 3rd hard drive ( marked as slave and cable select). It was not found either.not in my computer or in bios

Not sure what happened. No other hardware was removed or inserted.
If someone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. I have a lot of stuff on there.

Running windows 7
Mobo gigabyte ep43-ud3l

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 purplehazeus

purplehazeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

One additional piece of info. the disk is cycling with power and I've tried another sata cable and sata port

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Right click on Computer and select Manage. Then go to disk manager and see if the drive shows there. If something wiped out the partition tables and the drive may show with no drive letter. Do nothing except post back unless there is nothing on that drive you want.

Not sure what you mean by "disk is cycling with power" ? Do you mean spinning up and down? If so that would be a bad sign of hardware problems Vs Software problems

Edited by rotor123, 28 November 2011 - 03:38 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 purplehazeus

purplehazeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

Clicked on disk manager. The drive is not showing. Even had it check for hardware changes for both the 3rd drive and the spare drive. It didn't see either one when connected. There is a lot on this drive they I absolutely want to keep.

By the disk cycling. I just mean it has juice going to it so it's not a power problem. I know this ecspecially because, this has been the setup for at least 6 months

Thanks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:48 PM

Two things:

a. Post a screenshot from Disk Management.

b. Enter BIOS...see if drive is listed on main screen. If not, tell us the manufacturer and size and whether it's PATA/SATA.

With all due respect...it does no good to tell us about "first, second, third, etc." hard drive...a picture from Disk Management and a look in the BIOS will provide a better "picture" of what may be occurring.

Board Specs

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2011 - 08:25 AM.

#6 purplehazeus

purplehazeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

First off. Thanks for all your help

No disrespect but As I said it did not show up in the disk management. At all. that's why I did not post from disk management. I also said it was not showing up in the bios. I also Told you the drives that were showing up. C. with a partition and E. The other drive is usually F: or G:

In regards to the kind of drives:
drive c: is a samsung HD502hj 500gb sata with no jumper shows up as channel 0 master
drive e: is a maxtor diamondmax plus 9 80gb ata/133 with a sata adapter set to cable select shows up as channel 0 slave

Okay so update. After moving the jumper quite a number of times and the ide sata adapter. I've gotten the mobo to recognize the drive. The jumper on the 3rd drive is set to cable select.It shows up on the master channel 1.( If you recall the other 2 are on channel 0) It is a seagate barracuda 80gb uata model st380013a.

What's happening now is that it goes to starting windows and hangs there. I had to disconnect it to get the other drives to work normal and start the pc. I think it may be conflicting with something. Any ideas

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

Those IDE to SATA adapters are not very good. Using the link Louis kindly provided shows that the motherboard has an IDE port.

If you are using that port unplug the drives from it temporarily and plug the troublesome drive into it and see how that goes. You may have to turn that port back on if it was disabled. If the drive works and is accessible on the motherboard port than you know where the problem lies.

If so option 1, copy all your files off of it to another drive. Option 2. get a USB adapter to use with it.

Always remember with hard drives it isn't if they will go bad, It is when they will go bad. Back that drive up if you get it going and you don't want to have the contents become lost.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 purplehazeus

purplehazeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

Thanks. I think that the disk drive is connected to that ide drive. I will try after work to disconnect that and see if the hard drive shows up. Hopefully. since I don't really use the disk drive. I really need to update some components of my pc anyway. Those 2 80gb are ancient as you can imagine. The only reason I haven't switched them over is that they have components of some programs that will have to be reinstalled and I haven't had time

it never fails that of ourse I had just started backing up that drive on an external 500gb a week before.
Anywho I'll report back.

Thanks again

#9 purplehazeus

purplehazeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

By golly rotor123 yer a genius. :clapping: it musta been the adapter because it totally found it when I switched to the IDE cable.
Thanks a bundle sweetie!! :thumbsup:

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

Glad to hear you were successful and thank you for the kind words.

Cheers

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users