Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Recovery

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 onewick

onewick

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

I seem to have gotten rid of the virus, however, I have pretty much a black screen. Nothing on desktop. Nothing in Start Menu. I read a previous discussion before I registered and it seems you know how to fix this problem.

Edited by hamluis, 28 November 2011 - 09:34 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

Try running Unhide first. Unhide.exe
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 onewick

onewick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

How long with that take? I've tried running it, but it just says Processing C:\. Doesn't go any further than that. Since posting this morning, I've managed to get most of the desktop back, but not my Start Menu.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

a couple minutes.. Sounds more like you need to use SFC now.

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 onewick

onewick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

P.S. The System Fix still has a shortcut on the desktop that I cannot get rid of.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

Try using the "Fix-It" here
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/system_maintenance_for_windows/en-us

I'll be back in a an hour

#7 onewick

onewick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

Okay, we are getting some progress. I have successfully deleted the System Fix on the desktop. The Start Menu is still missing everything with the exception of Computer listed on the right side. Progress is progress. Any other suggestions?

#8 onewick

onewick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

Finally got the System File Checker to run completely and it said there were no errors found. Never asked me to put in the CD.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

This still an issue?
everything with the exception of Computer listed on the right side.

If so run
Windows Vista 32-bit US English
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/fakehdd/vista-32-sm-reset.exe

#10 onewick

onewick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

Norton will not let me run that file.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

Can you temporarily disable Norton?

#12 onewick

onewick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

Okay. I disabled Norton and ran the program. It did not work.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

This is a manual fix for Vista/Windows 7 users:

1. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\1
and paste it to this folder:
C:\Program Data\Start Menu

2. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\2
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

3. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\3
C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

4. Copy the entire content of this folder:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp\4
C:\Program Data\Desktop

-- Note: The "Start Menu", "Quick Launch" and "Desktop" folders are system folders. In order to see them, you need to Reconfigure Windows to show hidden files, folders. In Windows Explorer go to Tools > Folder Options and click on the View tab. Under Advanced settings > Files and Folders > Hidden Files and Folders, uncheck "Hide Protected operating system Files (recommended)" and hit Apply > OK. In order to access the "Start Menu" folder, you may need to "take ownership" of that folder as shown here.

If the above does not work, then you can restore the defaults for the Start Menu and Administrative Tools as follows:
For any other missing program shortcuts you will probably need to reinstall the application or manually create new shortcuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users