Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Volume Folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gangsterwilltravel

gangsterwilltravel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:57 AM

I have tried that and just won't work. The System Volume Folder is in my internat D\drive and it is now 160GB large. I don't need that in that drive and have tried permissions and stuff and think I just scewed it up more..they didn't teach me that when I did tech support for MS Vista...LOL...never had to deal with that. I know, me bad!
Any help would be appreciated...running out of disk space. Good thing it is a 750 GB. Not sure what will happen if it get any bigger...
thx Roxy

Edited by hamluis, 28 November 2011 - 07:39 AM.
Split from different topic, PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:36 AM

If you turn off System Restore...and reboot...the contents of the System Volume folders will be eliminated.

If you desire, you can then enable System Restore and it will start the accumulation process anew.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-System-Restore-on-or-off

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Actually you do not have to reboot. As soon as you disable system restore on a drive and click "Apply" (or "okay") the contents of the SVI folder will be deleted. Alternatively, you can just use disc cleanup to delete all but the most current restore point.

#4 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

Any help would be appreciated...running out of disk space.

It sounds as though you may be suffering from the Vista backup system called Shadow copying. It's Microsoft's way of creating restorable backups, but which end up filling a hard drive in a very short time.

This explains what it is and this explains how to reduce the amount of allocated space.

After many notifications that my disk space was low I re-allocated the space for my drives to 0.5Gb for the D drive, and 3Gb for the C drive. No more problems.

:)

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users