Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Security Alerts -- Is this a virus?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cger

cger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:20 AM

Hey guys!

This is my first time posting, hoping I'm doing it by the books. I own a Dell Inspiron 1520.

Here is my problem (and what I have tried):
When I turn my computer on, as my task tray is loading in the lower right corner, quickly appears this terrible red shield with an X in the middle! Seconds later, the dreaded balloon which says...

"Your Computer May Be At Risk. Something about my virus protection not being UTD. Click This Balloon To Fix The Problem".

This has only started happening recently, so with some Googling I came across two things that people were talking about...

1. This is a virus. "Windows XP Security Alert Virus 2011"
2. There are settings you can change in your Control Panel to stop these alerts. Now - I did uncheck the box to notify me of alerts, and the shield has left my tray.

I have the free version of AVG Anti Virus on my computer. I have run this, it picked up a couple things and successfully deleted them.

I have also run Malwarebytes in Safe Mode multiple times the past couple of days, which also picked up many mal-ware thingies.

Today, I got on the Dell website and got directions on how to restore my computer to its original format which seemed to go well. I guess I thought this may help? Anyway, I was able to do that, although upon startup the red shield was first to load in my tray. (Shortly after is when I tried changing the settings and the shield disappeared..)

I'm just worried there is a virus still lingering on this bad boy.

Any comments and insight would be so very appreciated. Thank you!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users