Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Producing widescreen video from an old computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

I am looking for a new monitor for an old computer. The computer has an nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card in it. Since all new monitors are widescreen, I want to know if this video card is capable of producing resolutions like 1600x900. The card only has a VGA output and uses the driver built into Windows XP because the nVidia driver makes the computer extremely slow. Windows detected the card and automatically installed a driver that works perfectly with the old monitor. I know that the card can output 1280x720 (strangely, the old 17" CRT monitor supports this resolution).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:00 AM

http://www.prolink-usa.com/english/product/vtv-mx420-64a.html

Appears that it will :).

Louis

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

I thought it would work as long as the generic video card driver supports those resolutions. The new monitor will probably run at 1600x900 or 1920x1080.

#4 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

A new monitor was finally purchased, and it works perfectly at 1600x900 with Windows XP's built-in video driver. The only problem is that the computer is too slow to play Youtube videos full-screen at the higher resolution.

nVidia claims that the card does not support any widescreen resolution (even 1280x720), and the later drivers for this card do not allow any widescreen resolutions to be chosen (along with making the computer extremely slow, as I mentioned above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users