Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guide To Office Networking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shiday

shiday

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:30 PM

I have been working as a PC tech for several years now and would like to learn another topic.

I want to learn all there is to know ;) about home/office wiring (cat5, phone, ect.).

Does anyone know of a school or company that trains in this particular area?

My main goal is to be able to offer customers the option of wiring there business/home with an ethernet network.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Edited by shiday, 01 February 2006 - 09:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:02 AM

This a an international site so i think its best you state where u from and what specific skills u looking at to upgrade. Common ones would be basci networking courses like Network plus or N+ which is internationally recognise from compTIA. The others would be CISCO , MCSE etc...

ZENER[b]
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 shiday

shiday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:51 AM

i am looking more towards the actual installation of wires (like through walls, hooking up to a central hub, ect) I know how to network, just not running the lines through walls.

any more suggestions would be most appreciated

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:10 AM

I've done this several times. Here's my suggestion:

Go buy a cordless drill with a 3/4" bit for wood, and another for concrete.

Seriously, the actual wiring techniques vary according to the construction. In the USA it's easy to wire the story just above the basement - or just below the attic. You just run the wires in the basement or attic - then punch holes through the studs. Then, all you've gotta do is figure out where the wires came through and cut some holes for the receptacles.

For multilevel structures it's a bit harder - since you've gotta get through the studs in the middle. This usually involves a bit of work with drywall, spackling paste, and a bit of paint. Usually it's easier (in these situations) to go wireless.

In my case, my wife want's a cable TV connection in out kitchen (in the middle level) - so I'm gonna use the cut and patch approach for the TV.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 shiday

shiday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

usaman,

i am not looking to learn how you wired your house..................

I am looking to learn how to wire an office building with central servers, hubs, ect......

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:24 PM

shiday,

The area you are looking to get into is known as BICSI. Here is their organizational website. Get in touch with them and they will direct you to accredited training that is recognized industry wide. Good Luck

Be (BICSI) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 shiday

shiday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

animal,

thank you very much for the information.... i havent read it all yet, however, it appears to be just what i was looking for.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:47 PM

You're more than welcome. And again, Good Luck with your future training.

Be (Learning New Things) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users