Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One website will not open on one of my computers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

Greetings all I am a new user here but have lurked and learned much from these forums.

At this time, the home network consists of, in order from the WAN, a siemens speedstream 4200 dsl modem, a Smoothwall firewall appliance, a Netgear 16 port business class switch, then clients including... a 2003 Standard server running file/print/dhcp, two xp pro sp3 workstations, one xp pro sp3 laptop and a Netgear wap.

The laptop receives "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" when trying to access a certain website. This happens over both ethernet and wireless.

All other client machines on this lan access the site just fine.

I checked many things, but what I remember right now is... hosts file, tried a different network cable, reset wap-switch-smoothwall-dsl modem, connected directly to the modem, duped IE's security and advanced settings with one of the working machines, checked for an invalid cert installed to the laptop from the site (it is https), turned off windows firewall on the laptop, disabled the firewall on the machine hosting the remote site, checked firewall logs on both ends, geez maybe some other things I can't remember right now. Oh I can hit the page through hidemyass proxy page. Otherwise all my efforts have been futile.

The site is the landing page for an SBS 2011 Standard Remote Web Access login. Like I said it apparently responds to every other computer on the planet except the laptop.

This is tripping me out - thought I knew something about computers. Of course I googled this till I turned blue before posting here. I am about ready to reimage the laptop, but curiousity is killing me. Any suggestions????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike Wood

Mike Wood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:23 PM

Just wanted to say that the laptop will browse any other website just fine. Only this one site will not open on this laptop.

I have also flushed dns, emptied temporary internet files, Ctrl+F5, tried different dns servers, tried typing https://ip.address in the browser. One funny thing is happening. On my other desktop computers, I can open the site with either Chrome or IE. Both desktop browsers give me the standard cert warning but allow me to proceed and connect (the SBS server is using a self signed cert so that is expected). However on this laptop when I use Chrome I get a different cert warning page. It says "Invalid Server Certificate" with a "Back" button, and no option to proceed.

At first I was thinking I was dealing with a weird IE problem, or some network hokiness. But now I am almost convinced that the problem is on the laptop itself. The only thing I haven't done is take the laptop to another lan somewhere and try to connect. That would totally rule out or rule in my home lan. Haven't I ruled out everything here at home by attaching the laptop directly to the dsl modem with an ethernet cable, hardcoded my ip, and still could not connect? That pretty much narrows it down to the laptop itself don't you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users