Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deni137

deni137

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:55 PM

:thumbsup: Hello, Can anyone give me some of your reviews about antivirus and spyware software? First I read that Trend Mirco PC-cillin 2006 was the best, and then with more searching I've read that The Shield Pro 2006 was even better. I'm lost, there are to many to choose from. Right now I have Panda installed, but that is just a trial. I want to purchase something that will work. Thanks for any help- Denise

[Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed]

Edited by jgweed, 01 February 2006 - 09:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

Many people will offer their favorites, but every av program has strengths and weaknesses.

The most important things are to have av software installed, keep it up to date and have regular scans.

Also having a couple of antispyware programs installed and a good firewall program that monitors outgoing traffic are also important. Some versions of Panda offer spyware protection and a firewall.

Adaware, Microsoft Antispyware, Spybot and SpywareBlaster are all good and free anti-spyware programs. ZoneAlarm has a good free firewall.

If you like Panda and you have it installed already, then I would say stay with it. In a year you will have to renew your subscription and you can try something else if you want.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:15 PM

Many members, including myself, have the following installed (all of these are free and work well):

AVG Anti-virus
Spybot Search and Destroy
Ad-Aware SE
Sygate Personal Firewall

Links to these, and others, can be found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I have a predilection for avoiding bundled software, since often the various components foten are not of equal value, and you are then tied to one vendor's bloated software. The good thing about using free applications is that you can "test drive" each of them yourself (note: you cannot have two firewalls or two anti-viruses running at the same time).

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:43 PM

Independent comparatives of Anti-Virus Software
List of Anti-virus Products: Reviews
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016