Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Issues on my IBUYPOWER PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 solodolo

solodolo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hey all, new to the forums and in pretty serious need of some help. I bought an IBUYPOWER prebuilt gaming rig last... April I think, and its been working great for me. Recently however ( the last month or so), the sound keeps going out. It went out for about a week before randomly coming back (nothing I did), and now its been gone for about 2-3 weeks. The sound icon down by the clock shows a red x and says that no speakers are plugged in. I've tried a bunch of things to try and get my audio back on, but no luck. I'm not sure what I would need to provide here for anybody to help me, or what I SHOULDNT post for security reasons, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some important notes
*I have Windows 7
*I have two jacks for my speakers, one in the back where you would typically expect to find one, but also an additional one in the front panel. Neither one apparently works, leading me to believe its a driver issue.
*Gosh idk what else to put down! any help would be greatly appreciated, I used to think I was capable with computers but this seems to be beyond me :crazy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 solodolo

solodolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

nothing? anyone?

#3 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

I know practically nothing about you PC. More system info would help a lot, not to mention more specific details on what you have and have not already tried. Seeing that your system is Windows based you might want to check this thread . Although I have Windows Xp, I had an audio problem awhile back and found it to work for me. I would also try uninstalling and reinstalling all audio drivers and software to the latest versions.

Edited by Nightspear, 01 December 2011 - 06:32 PM.

#4 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

Sorry,
this was a double post

Edited by Nightspear, 01 December 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#5 solodolo

solodolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

Im not sure how to find the system info you'd need. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers; the problem persists. aside from that i've really just tried disabling my audio device (via device manager) and restarting the computer. Nothing else. What kind of info would you need and how would i find it??

#6 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:13 AM

hi solodolo,

Try the solution Nightspear posted..

Click start>>in search type services>>click services>>scroll down the list to 'Windows Audio'...double click on Windows Audio..check that it is set to Automatic..if the service is stopped..click start..click apply>>okay

If the Windows Audio is started>>click stop..apply>>ok...then start the service..Remember to set it to automatic and to click apply and okay

Pauline

#7 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

Another possibility if you haven't already done this..right click on the sound icon..select playback...select speakers and click the set as default..

Pauline

#8 solodolo

solodolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Alright thanks for all the suggestions guys. The problem has apparently evolved... I really am lost. The sound is now back, has been for a few days (i tried uninstalling Starcraft, reasoning maybe that had something to do with it). A host of new issues have now arisen however. In both Google Chrome and IE, opening webpages with videos cause the program to crash, and chrome brings up a note that says "shockwave has crashed."

When I try and start videos in Windows MEdia player, the videos don't open. I use VLC Media player and they usually open, but the sound doesnt come on for a bit.

Sound like anything you've heard of?

#9 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

I dont know much about Starcraft, but the shockwave player may be out dated. Visit Adobe and check if you have the latest version. If you do, it may be a video driver issue. Double check that you have the latest graphics card driver from the manufacturer installed instead of the generic MS driver. Also downloading a reputable codec pack would not hurt. Personally, I like the The Combined Community Codec Pack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users