Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up insanely slow after upgrade to Windows 2010

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 upabreak

upabreak

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

I recently added Windows 2010 to my computer, previously running 2003.
I am posting a list of all the items that are "checked" in my startup menu since the download.
I would like some help knowing what of these I can "un check" as it would seem that starting all of this
at every launch of my system is creating the slowness (???)
sprtcmd
dsca
avgtray
AdobeArm
QTTask
HPWuSchd2
Tgcmd
Jusched
PCMService
TBMon
UpdaterUI
iTunesHelper
igfxhay
igfxpers
hckmd
AOLHostManage
DNDLauncher
Tfswctrl
AppleSyncNotifier
BCSSync
Smax4pnp
Ctfmon
Msmsgs
Sprtcmd
DSAgnt

**all of these above end with :HKLM \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CURRENT VERSION

AcrobatAssistant
AdobeReaderSpeedLaunch
DigitalLineDetect
HPImagingMonitor
HPPhotosmartPremierfaststart
VPNClient
TrueAssistant
TomTomHomeRunner
KodakSoftwareUpdater

The last two I have already unchecked- I rarely use my Tom Tom let alone download updates for it. In addition to start up slowness my computer is now constantly grinding whenever I use it...
Like it is working/processing--it is so bad that I can no longer play music as it breaks up the feed audio feed. I just upgraded to Xfinity extra fast internet and am not getting a benefit from it
as everything I do runs slowly due to the constant grinding of the machine. I have AVG and Malware bytes installed and keep them updated and run them often. I have gotten no hits on either since I installed the software that I have a virus or malware present. I would appreciate help with this annoying situation. Thank you for any helpful comments.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

First of all, do not use msconfig to manage startup items. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs. Second, I assume you mean you installed OFFICE 2010 and not Windows 2010 (since there's no such thing).

As for what you do or don't want to load at boot, you can Google each entry and decide if you want it to start. If there are any you aren't sure about, just post back and we'll be happy to help.

#3 upabreak

upabreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

Yes, I meant Office 2010.
I appreciate the feedback re checking services.msc--however now I am even more confused and the list is 3X longer. I am attempting to read the descriptions but don't know what
most of them mean in order to make a decision about if it should launch or not. What exactly does the download of Mike Lin's start up control panel do?
I considered going through and googling some of these but my gosh, that would take forever! I was hoping there were some Q and A methods like...do you use mobile devices , if not then these things
can be dumped etc...

I am linking the download to the slowness as it was immediately after that it occurred. Is there anything else I could do or consider without messing with the start up menu?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

There is nobody here who knows what all of your startup items are - we would have to Google some of them too. I can tell you that most of them are NOT necessary. Tell you what, I'll list the ones I know you don't need below.

Startup Control Panel will allow you to stop items from loading at startup by simply unchecking them, but unlike msconfig it will not put you in diagnostic mode. It is a very simple app to manage startup items. After unchecking the items, if you later decide you want one or more of them to load at boot simply recheck them.

By the way, I sincerely doubt any issues you are having are because of the number of startup items. What is the specific issue you are experiencing? Let's see if we can do this the smart way.

sprtcmd
dsca
AdobeArm
QTTask
HPWuSchd2
Tgcmd
Jusched
PCMService
TBMon
UpdaterUI
iTunesHelper
igfxhay
hckmd
DNDLauncher
Tfswctrl
AppleSyncNotifier
BCSSync
Smax4pnp
Msmsgs
Sprtcmd
DSAgnt

**all of these above end with :HKLM \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CURRENT VERSION

AcrobatAssistant
AdobeReaderSpeedLaunch
HPPhotosmartPremierfaststart
VPNClient
TrueAssistant
TomTomHomeRunner
KodakSoftwareUpdater

#5 upabreak

upabreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

As I said in the notation of my issue, since I added Windows 2010 my machine is taking up to 20 minutes to start up. Prior to this I would say my start up was "normal".
I can't recall if I have run a defrag or disk clean up since the download but I THINK that I have.

In addition, as I also mentioned at the end of my initial post, my machine is grinding all the time now when I use it ..like it is working or processing or downloading--the green light
kind of flickers and I can't play music as it affects the audio feed ie the music breaks up.

I also don;t have alot of skill as far as setting up AVG properly--I think that it is running some kind of scan at start up or downloading updates right away and that might also be part
of the problem. I'm not sure about this, because again, prior to the download of 2010 I could start up in a normal time frame and the machine didn't feel like it was always running and
I could play/stream music without any issues.

It feels like this program is almost a burden to the system or something... I don't know...

#6 upabreak

upabreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

adding to the above comment:
so, I downloaded Mike Lin's startup and unchecked all the things you suggested--start up took a little less time--about 12 minutes this time but the machine is grinding away again--I can get into programs (slowly) like Outlook or Word or open up Mozilla but the opening is SLOW and again--work work work goes the machine. What the heck is it doing? I tried to go to Pandora and listen to a little Josh Grobin and I get the same break ups and staticky interruptions in the stream that directly mactch the flashing of the green light on my CPU. UGH. Any thoughts? Thanks for jumping into this by the way.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

As Allan said, and you corrected but then restated, there is no such thing as Windows 2010,
Let us assume that you are talking about Office 2010 then.

Along with a large list of startup items that are completely unnecessary, 12 minutes to boot is an extraordinary long time.
I would suspect more of a hard drive or virus/malware issue than anything.

Given that, I would highly recommend that you backup your personal data immediately and test the drive with the manufacurers diagnostics.

Please post the make/model of the system.
Laptop or hard drive?

If you are not sure that you have defragmented the hard drive in a while please take the time to do so.
It might take considerable time so please do nothing else until the process completes.

ALso, what are you using for antivirus and antimalware programs and when was the last time that you checked the system for viruses/malware?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

Please boot to safe mode. Does that load normally or does it also take a long time? If the latter, try this:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
As mentioned above, after you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process.

Edited by Allan, 28 November 2011 - 07:56 AM.

#9 upabreak

upabreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

My system is a Dell Dimension 3000 desk top purchased in 2004 --2GB of Ram originally,
then in 09 I added 2GB more and the machine is at capacity.

I have defragmented -no improvement in start up speed.

I have AVG as my antivirus (free version) and Malware Bytes as my mw protection.

I started up in Safe Mode as suggested-start up time ie from the time I hit f8 until I can open the first program was about 3.5 minutes.

I then shut down and reopened normally--start up to being able to open was approx 11 minutes.

I noticed that AVG updates at opening and this is grinding and slowing things down, I have disabled the automatic update feature for the program including
the automatic definitions update. I will try to restart and see if this speeds things along... and will plan to update when I run scans. This is the way Malware Bytes is set up
and it works fine. I regularly run both scans by the way
and haven't had any activity since my last post with My Bleepin' several months ago in which AVG caught something but could not remove it--you guys helped me with that and
I haven't had a hit since.

My machine was running fine UNTIL I installed that OFFICE upgrade.

I will post if restarting time improves now that I have removed AVG update. Otherwise, please offer any suggestions you can.

My issues remain:
1. way two long to start up--just populating my desktop icons and task bar takes about 6 minutes...and nothing will open until, as I said about 11 minutes.
2. The machine is clicking and grinding in the background , like it is running something --the little green light flickers constatnly--and this has ruined my
audio--I can;t listen to any of my music either saved on my machine or via streaming on Pandora without it being interrupted and cutting out to the point that it
isn't even worth listening to.

Thanks again for helping--sorry for the hiatus--I work on a computer all day long at work and sometimes I just can't even MAKE myself turn my home computer on when I
get home...let alone deal with problems with it.

I am anxious to get this problem corrected. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users