Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't install .net updates

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

I have my computer sat to automatically download and install microsoft downloads. On Oct 12 th, I started trying to install the same messages everyday. The prime download that won't install is Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates. This combined Service Pack and update is applicable to .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5. Details...
Don't show this update again . This download says it needs to be installed alone. I have others waiting to be installed, but can't get this one installed. When I try to check it out, I get error code 0x643, which says my file may be corrupt corrupt. I have downloaded a couple fixes from microssoft, the main one is a Mr Fixit. Then there is a group of others Microsoft fixit center. The 2 which pertains to this problem say they have fixed the problem, but it still won't install. Microsoft says the next alternative is to uninstall the .NET framework and reinstall it, but I will lose files that pertain to it. I know mapping files use it, but not sure what else. Is there another way to fix this? Or maybe I can delete this download (it won't let me) install the others, and try to redownload just it. Do I need to take the computer to a pro? I don't want to loose any files, but the ones using it have the corrupt version in them. Thanks so much for any help, I know I haven't been using this site for several months, which means I haven't been having problems. You guys have done me proud on here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Instead of using Windows update try to download those files from MS site and install them manually one by one.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

I have a better idea. I had the same problem last year. First, I guarantee that the updates will not install. They seem to be faulty. Second, you may not need the different versions of .NET Framework. BTW, the version number means nothing as different apps use different versions. When you install a program that uses .NET Framework and then uninstall it, .NET Framework remains. You should attempt to uninstall all versions of .NET Framework using Add/Remove Programs. If a version won't uninstall, that's OK. Leave it there. It means you do need it. When you're finished, use the cleanup tool at the link below. That will get rid of the updates. You can reinstall the various versions of .NET Framework if you like. But you don't need to. I didn't and have had no further issues with .NET Framework. It's a very confusing product because users assume that if its a Microsoft product, it must be necessary. Not in this case.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

Just a clarification...MS.NET is necessary, but only for certain applications. Everyone does not need to have it installed.

Examples calling for installation include MS Office, any version of Visual Basic, certain drivers (e.g., ATI), and certain apps (e.g., nLite). There are obviously other situations where it's necessary...but I don't know of any such that will not advise you that a given version is needed...or either install that version as part of the program package.

And, if I was going to uninstall all versions using Add/Remove Programs...I'd start with the latest and work backward, ignoring all critical updates for any version. I believe that these disappear once the applicable version is removed.

Louis

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

I know it is needed for some things. I used to use mozilla, and it would systematically disable it. That would also wipe out a bunch of my maps and mapping stuff. I was unaware MS Office used it, my wife used that on my computer, and I do photos sometimes with it, which thinking back was affected. I don't have time now to uninstall everything and I figure I will probably reinstall some of it as I do know I have things that need it. I know how upset I used to get everytime I had to reinstall after mozilla would disable it without asking. That is why I quit them. I do know that several of my mapping programs would wipe a lot of files clean when that happened and I would have to redownload, reconfigure, and reinstall the maps I had been working with. My memory is not goo and I forget most times how so it takes me a long time to re figure it out. That is one reason why I have so much hesitation about uninstalling it. Also is ther any way I can delete the download giving me problems and just leave things go from there for awhile?

Edited by heyyou325, 27 November 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:50 AM

That's the problem. The updates won't go away unless you attempt to uninstall all versions of .NET Framework. If you need a version, it will tell you that you need it and refuse to uninstall. That happened to me. I left it alone. Right now you're guessing but you don't know which versions of .NET Framework you do need. And the only way to find out which versions you need and get rid of those stupid updates that don't work is to attempt to uninstall all of them.

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

Well, I did it, shudder. It wouldn't let me uninstall 1.1..., or 4.0... . I uninstalled the rest, then I checked and the update had disappeared. But I had a message about 9 updates, 6 priority, all .NET framework. Over 200 mb. I have Satellite internet, and it's all measured that I use. In about 3 hours, busy time of the day, I had 6 of 9 with all but 1 of 9 failed. It wouldn't let me do anything else while it was downloading them. I'll try again later, and really put me over on bandwidth. Haven't checked what works and what doesn't yet. My wife is sort of worried cause she uses MS Office to do our books on this computer. And I know when mozilla disabled it we couldn't get MS pictures to work. I'll try downloading some or all of them tomorrow while I'm at work. Thanks, I think, for the help, I think.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:39 PM

Did you use Method 2 as described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

You receive "0x80070643" or "0x643" error codes when you try to install .NET Framework updates through Windows Update or Microsoft Updates

>>Method 2: Repair the .NET FrameworkRepair the version of the .Net Framework that you fail to install updates<<

.NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5
To repair the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, you must uninstall multiple versions of the .NET Framework by using the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool, and then reinstall the components.

To do this, follow these steps:

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:51 AM

That's pretty much what I did except I did not reinstall the uninstalled versions of .NET Framework because I decided I didn't need them. And that was the correct decision as I have had no problems with .NET Framework and the updates are gone. Windows wouldn't let you uninstall two versions of .NET Framework. Those are the two you need. You don't need the other versions.

#10 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:32 AM

Well, I guess I begin the process over, only with automatic updates turned off. I have a priority update on 1.1 that will not install, the first one it tried, and have the same problem. At least I have all my other updates installed, I did them first. I'm getting a different message now anyway. I think it's an 0x066A now. Gotta get ready and leave for work now, will try tomorrow morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users