Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Minimize Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 romulus267

romulus267

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:27 PM

Hey all. I'm having a very strange problem, and I was unsure of where to post this because it could possibly be hardware or software. Let me start by saying that most games/applications run with no problems. However in a few cases I am having the weirdest problem I think I've encountered. It comes in 2 related parts -

1. When I run "The Movies" and "Starship Titanic" (old pc adventure game for those who don't know), as soon as the application runs and goes to full screen, it minimizes to the taskbar. When I click it's respective button, it maximizes for 1 second and then minimizes again. So I am unable to view the screen to play the game. The application itself seems to be working just fine, I just can't keep it on the screen. I am having the same problem when running full screen visualizations in winamp.
2. In dxdiag.exe, when I run the Direct3D tests, it goes fullscreen for a moment and then back to the dxdiag window with the message "You cancelled the test by pressing a key." However DirectDraw's fullscreen test completes with no problem.

These problems are limited only to those applications listed - all other games and apps I have work just fine as far as I know.
I'm running a Sony VAIO 3.0 GHz, 1gb memory, plenty of hard drive space, ATI X850 Pro video card, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card, Samsung SyncMaster 930B LCD

So here are some solutions I have already investigated -
- I thought maybe the problem could have been graphics drivers, but updating did not work. So I made sure to uninstall properly and try other older graphics driver versions, but also to no avail.
- My LCD had been purchased recently so I thought maybe somehow that was causing this to occur, so I hooked up an older CRT to test it out and I had the same problem.
- I also tried all different versions of all the software I was having troubles with, except for DirectX, which is updated to the newest version.

I know that this did not happen in the past, however I cannot trace it back to any particular installation/occurance. All I can think of is that some application is emulating the keypresses to minimize the window.I have recently run a complete virus scan and spyware scan with none detected. Any help will be much appreciated. Hopefully I'm just missing something simple :thumbsup:

romulus267

Edited by romulus267, 01 February 2006 - 06:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

Hello romulus267! I would suggest try using a different keyboard, it sounds like one of the buttons may be stuck.

Good Luck -Nick

#3 romulus267

romulus267
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:56 PM

Nope that didn't fix it. I didn't think so, since it only happens in those apps. Thanks though :thumbsup:

romulus267

#4 romulus267

romulus267
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:05 PM

Well I figured it out myself actually. I spent the past 3 or 4 hours working hard at it and discovered that the Folding@home client was causing the problem. So if anyone else has discovered this problem or is having this problem here's the answer. If you don't know what Folding@home is and are interested to find out more check out this link:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/

romulus267

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users