Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fredron

fredron

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:20 PM

I installed a Maxtor 200gb hard drive as a slave unit behind an 80gb drive in my HP Pavillion. When I originally formatted the drive, the computer only recognized 137 gb of the drive. After using it for a while, I did a repartition to open up the other 63gb, and all the data on the 137gb section was lost, and the computer only saw the 63gb. My IS guys at work said the drive was good, only the data was lost, so I reinstalled and formatted the drive. Now the computer only recognizes 37gb.
Can anyone tell me what is going on, and what I can do to open up the full drive?
I'm using Windows XP home edition.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:29 AM

Are you using SP2 on XP home?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 fredron

fredron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:07 PM

I never added SP2 because I was told it causes conflicts with Autocad, and I need Autocad for some work I do at home.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:10 PM

You should research MicroSoft's DB to see if there is a patch the will cover that.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:19 PM

Here's A question: Are you sure you have the jumper in the right place on BOTH drives? Keep in mind that the diagrams are often incorrect (they have screwed me over plenty of times).

Edited by WlkingMan, 03 February 2006 - 08:20 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#6 fredron

fredron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:24 AM

All I know is what they showed in the instructions. The drive worked perfectly albeit with only 137 gb available at first. After it screwed up, all I had was the last 63gb. Now I have 31.

#7 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:00 AM

Well it is very unlikely that the Hard-drive is bad seeing as it is new (I would assume). And this is common when you have the jumpers in the wrong places or the hard-drive on the wrong place on the IDE cable. It could also be A bad IDE cable though.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#8 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:14 AM

When you are having problems with a HDD it is always worth downloading the diagnostic software from the manufacturers site to see if the drive checks out. Give some peace of mind and saves heart ache and much wasted time otherwise. Might also use that software to wipe the drive.

g

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:27 AM

I believe that pre-SP1 the cap on recognizing drives was 137gb. SP2 cured that. There are drivers that enabled it which may be the problem.

See the following:
This article describes the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can increase the capacity of your hard disk to more than the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...3&Product=winxp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users