Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Do I Need?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:08 PM

I have a PC with ADSL Broadband and a wireless network connection that is not connected.
Now, however, I wish to link up with a second desktop PC. This does not have a wireless network connection (but I have an adaptor); no Internet connection at all at the moment, I now need a Router if my reading of help on the Web is correct.

I thought about LINKSYS WRT55AG Dual Band Wireless A & G Version 2. Does anyone know this : any pros and cons, please?

I wish to make both PC`s secure so if anyone is willing to talk me through procedures I would be very grateful. If you were to use words of one syllable that would be great! :thumbsup:

My thanks in advance.

Eirlys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:44 PM

May be a dumb question but is the modem you have wireless. Many time people think there is but it turns out its not so :thumbsup:.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#3 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:09 AM

Ah! A problem, then?

Creatix V9x DSP Data fax Modem Doesn`t sound like a wireless to me.

:thumbsup:

My reading led me to believe a router would deal with that? (You can see I need help!).

#4 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:42 PM

um a router would do it i believe. I was just gonna suggest a wireless pci card the u can use if u have a wireless modem but if yours isnt wireless get a router and it should do it.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:04 PM

Most router have 4 ethernet ports on the back usually labeled 1 2 3 4 . Most computer these days come with either a onboard ethernet port or an add-on ethernet PCI card. If this is the case and you can place your computer close enough to the router a ethernet patch cable should be all you need.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

Thank you for the help; much appreciated.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

Did you have an ethernet port?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users