Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has CHKDSK caused my computer to break?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 James1o9lang

James1o9lang

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

Hello, I'd like to start by saying I ave searched everywhere for a solution to this problem and I've had no luck. I am also quite inexperienced with most of the tools you may ask me to use, such as hijackthis. I've only had a few viruses on this computer during its lifetime and I've always been able to clean them off with malwarebytes or other programs and I even borrow friends' computers and fix them whenever they need. Anyway, I'll get to my problem. My graphics driver sometimes shakes loose inside of my computer, that's no problem except sometimes I have to tighten it back in. Sometimes I will turn on my pc and the screen wont load, telling me it is loose, forcing me to turn off the computer by holding the power button. Well a few days ago I did this, and I pressed "start my computer normally" when the screen appeared, but for some reason, a CHKDSK ran. I didn't have time to stop it and I did not want to turn off my pc while it ran. However, it started saying all kinds of my files were corrupt and it was deleting them and replacing some with defaults. I was like "hmm, ok, it's never done this before, maybe this is a good thing." However, when my desktop came up, the problem it caused was very apparent. There is so much to explain, I will get as much on here as I can. Say I try to open any program, a window pops up that says "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022) Click ok to terminate the application." This is a big deal because I can not use most of my programs. Luckily, through experimentation, I found out I can open SOME programs by going to "program files" and finding the file for the program and click it and press "open as administrator." SOME programs will work (such as World of warcraft.) When I try to run as administrator with programs on the desktop I get the message "Edata security is not properly intalled! Please reinstall the software." the "The instruction at 0x00000000 referenced memory at 0x00000000 the memory could not be read. Click ok to terminate the program." I went into safe mode and oddly enough, all programs work. I ran a full scan of Malwarebytes but it did not find anything. I tried a system restore of 1 week and that didn't work either. I tried Any information I can have that can resolve this issue WITHOUT wiping my hard drive would be very appreciated. I will check this often if you need more information. Honestly, I have little hope.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

Greetings,

Making sure your graphics is securely seated should be the first thing. Power down your computer, unplug everything connected to it and make sure the card will not become loose anymore. If for some reason you can not keep the graphics card screwed in buy a new case.

Next, Download Cleanup. An CCleaner. Install & run both programs. **Do not use registry cleaner.

Next, open a command prompt by searching for cmd from the start menu. Right click and select Run as Administrator. Type the following..
chkdsk /r c:

Press Y to accept the disk check on next reboot.

** Allow the disk check to complete. It may take up to an hour.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by Lefty3120, 27 November 2011 - 10:44 PM.

#3 James1o9lang

James1o9lang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

Unfortunately, nothing changed after all of that. =[

#4 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Create a new user account with admin rights. If applications are still not working we can dig deeper.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

Try this How to perform a clean boot or startup

Tekken

#6 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

I didn't see any mention of an antivirus program. I would get one like MSE (it's free)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

also this might help:

http://majorgeeks.com/Vista_Services_Optimizer_d6244.html

#7 James1o9lang

James1o9lang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

I made another account WITH admin abilities, no go. Followed the directions for a clean boot, no go. I do use microsoft security essentials. I ran the Windows Services optimizer and that did not help the problem either.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

There may be a software installed interfering or conflicting with your system that needed to be removed since safemode gives you a good result. Recall some programs or updates that you could try uninstalling to resolve your issue.

Tekken

#9 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

Hi James1o9lang,

"This is due to the DLL that is used by the application you are going to execute doesn't have the rights for the current user or system user.

Right Click on the DLL and Property then Security and add user"

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)." getting this error when trying to invoke an application

Pauline

#10 James1o9lang

James1o9lang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

I do have an update. Tell me if this could be a sign of the problem at hand. OUt of desperation for any fix, I ran TFC, temporary files cleaner, on my pc cuz i used to use it to fix other computers. Oddly enough, the problem goes away... When I restart, the problem has returned. But if I just run the TFC again, it works. For now, I'm going to see if it's potentially a virus and I'm running Malwarebytes. anyone else please give me your input. If you need, I can restart and run it again and tell you exactly what it deletes, if you think that'd help.

#11 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

It does sound like a permission issue. Whether its from a virus or misconfiguration. Here is a tool from Microsoft that will automatically revert Windows security settings to default. Microsoft Fix It

#12 James1o9lang

James1o9lang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:46 AM

I had used Fix it before to no avail. Why does the TFC fix the problem though?

#13 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

You might have malware on your system if TFC is curing your issue. I'd suggest heading over to the Am I infected section of the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users