Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP repair install

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mreasyrider

mreasyrider

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

I was having problems with my XP machine. (sp3) I grabbed my XP disc and did a repair reinstall. At the end of what I thought was the install it ask for disc2 with SP2 on it. I have downloaded SP more than one but it is always an .exe file and the machine will not recognize it so it can install. I tried imageBurn but it still comes back to being a exe file and wont install. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

System manufacturer and model?

What did you think that the repair install...would correct? What is wrong with the system, in your opinion?

Please post the exact content of any onscreen error message received during your efforts.

Louis

#3 mreasyrider

mreasyrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

It is a Dell 4600 with XP pro. I was having a boot problem that after logging into the recovery console and running bootfix it would boot but when I got to the login screen it would take no keyboard entry to the password. AT that point I decided to run a xp install and just go to the screen where you have the option to do a fresh install or run the repair function to correct a problematic OS. This usually works fine for me and have never had one to ask me for a SP2 disc so it could retrieve the "asms" ( that is what I recall it saying on the screen). Now I can't seem to create a SP2 disc that the machine will recognize. I tried making a ISO with image burn but it would not read it. It brings up a screen asking for the location of the F:\I386 file. I have only 2 choices F the cd drive or A the floppy drive. I can no longer access the recovery console or safe mode as it will not go further than asking for the SP2 files.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,894 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

Louis

#5 mreasyrider

mreasyrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

Louis,
This is no help. I CANNOT do anything besides answer or slect where the files are located. I looked at what you linked to but what good is it if I cannot get past the second phase install screen. Nothing I type makes any difference as all I get is "insert the disc containing the sp2 files (which I have done) but it will not accept the .EXE file as readable during an install. Maybe you misread what I posted?

Edited by mreasyrider, 27 November 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,894 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

<<...ask me for a SP2 disc so it could retrieve the "asms" ( that is what I recall it saying on the screen).>>

I read what you posted. Sorry...I'm no wizard of any sort...I try to give you the best data on your situation from what has been compiled.

I suggest that you wait and see if anyone else has any ideas that may resolve your problem.

Louis

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

I was having problems with my XP machine. (sp3) I grabbed my XP disc and did a repair reinstall. At the end of what I thought was the install it ask for disc2 with SP2 on it.

I never heard of any such thing. If you do a repair install it HAS to be with the version that is installed, otherwise the process simply will not proceed. If you try to repair with an earlier version you will be told you need to use the upgraded version. If you try to repair with a newer version you will end up doing an in-place upgrade (which is fine, by the way) - but it won't be a repair install. I don't know what you did, but it wasn't a repair install.

#8 mreasyrider

mreasyrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

I inserted the XP disc. It prompted me what to do to a new install or repair the currect XP (choose the number of the one your wish to repair" which was 1 if you have an existig XP OS. If you have ever run a repair install you know the screen I am talking about. Maybe you should try what I am saying so you can witness what I am saying. The only thing I have asked so far is how to "streamline" or configure the sp2 files to install. I can try to take a screenshot so you can see that I am not just full of it and this is actally what is happening. The XP pro I tried to use to do the repair with does not contain SP2 or SP3. When trying to do this repair it does for a fact ask for the disc containing SP2 info. Also trying to use a XP Sp2 disc that I have downloaded will not be accepted by the system because it seems to be the problem lies within the fact that the SP2 disc is in exe format I have used the XP repair install many times before but have never run into this that I am experiencing this time. Yes I did use a XP sp1 disc and it did run until this happened. BTW I have used another XP disc not registered to the machine to do this before.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:00 AM

I can't follow your last post, but let's not worry about it. Create a slipstream cd with XP SP2, boot to it, and do the repair install. Then I suggest you upgrade to SP3 and create another cd with that version for future use.

http://www.nliteos.com/

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

I wonder if he is using a genuine Windows XP CD or the disc that came with his computer. Many users perceive these as the same and of course they are not the same thing. He hasn't said what he is using.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

Based on the first sentence of his last post, he's using an XP CD.

#12 mreasyrider

mreasyrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Yes, you are correct. I am using a XP CD not a manufacturers CD. Now I have heard the word slipstreamed used many times and understand it can be done but the link you have posted below your text refers only to what appears to be is making a slipstreamed XP SP3 disc.Since I have an original XP disc and have downloaded SP2 and SP3 to their own folders what is the procedure to combine SP2 exe files with the XP disc? I have DVD and CD Blanks and a good CD/DVD writer. As I said above I have used this XP cd before and used the repair procedure that is an option to do, rather than a complete reinstall. This is the first time I have ever had one to restart and then ask for the SP2 disc. This machine had SP3 installed on it according to the guy I got it from. I hope you can follow what I am saying. It does look a little confusing the way I have typed it.

Edited by mreasyrider, 28 November 2011 - 01:55 PM.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

Pick one that you like: https://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=create+slipstream+sp2+xp&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_en-GBUS430US394&ie=UTF-8

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

a SP2 disc so it could retrieve the "asms"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

Tekken

#15 mreasyrider

mreasyrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

Well everything looked like all was going to be well then something new came on the screen I have never encountered. I throws up a screen that says Restore and has an OK box at the bottom of the screen. Like it is trying to do a system restore to an earlier date. No matter how many times I click the ok button it just stays on that screen. Thinking something has run amuck, I shut the computer down, restarted it and it starts again doing the repair install and asks for the disc. Each time everything stops at the Restore screen. (btw thanks for the slipstreaming links, works great) So here I am again looking for information on what could possibly being going on. Thanks

Edited by mreasyrider, 30 November 2011 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users