Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS XP FREEZES UP for long periods

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 shyjan

shyjan

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

I think windows indexer or windows search slowed down my computer to a crawl. I shut off the service and and removed indexer from the c drive. It runs now but every 10 min or so it it freezes. If I leave it for an hour it comes back.
I ruled out a virus in the virus forum.

I am also wondering why my xp gives me the total of unread email messages from the logon screen before I am even logged on. Could outlook be messing with the speed of XP . I dont know how it got turned on or how to turn it off. I dont even know what to call it to google it???

It even counts the email when I am going in on safe mode w/ networking??! The reason I activated indexing orwindows search was because outlook was not doing searches correctly If I searched for abc it would give me defg....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

Boot to safe mode. Does the system run properly or does it freeze there too?

#3 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

In safe mode It takes a long time to go into the desktop from the login screen. It works OK sometimes and other times freezes for a few min...then comes back...so It is better but still with a big slow down

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

Try the following: Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2011 - 11:30 AM.
Edited to correct link.

#5 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

this link gives me an error screen
What do you want a screen shot of?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

My error...corrected link in previous post by me :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2011 - 07:50 AM.

#7 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Q1mkE7JdKY35MWgIuKmohvB

So far so good today ...I logged in which took forever, then I clicked on specy, it loaded slow but workable, then I opened chrome and it took about 30 seconds
then I came to bleeping computer and it loaded slow but not as bad.
This week I had to leave it over night to install speccy, MSSE took forever to update, again over night, but today it is working slow but workable.
I wonder if it is outlook that is messing it up. XP reads my email totals before I log in. how can I stop that?? And it was was activating indexing that caused this ...I think
Thanks JAn

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

I don't see anything that alarms me. I do see that your D: partition put there by HP...is out of space, but I don't know if that has any effect on system performance. See HP documentation, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01508532&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en .

I suggest that you do three things:

a. Open IE...then Tools/Manage Add-ons. Tell us what items are listed under Toolbars and Search Providers.

b. Disable Remote Desktop, unless you use it, http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/rdesktop_disable.mspx?mfr=true .

c. Run chkdsk /r command, after doing the other things I suggested. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. On new screen, type Y and hit Enter. Reboot.

The command will execute before booting into Windows.

Louis

Since this is a desktop...and I see that your install dates from 2006...there's a good chance that you need to open the case and do so cleaning. The need for such can cotribute to xystem overheating, which can cause system freezes.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial118.html

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2011 - 03:39 PM.

#9 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

I use firefox or chrome
I ran chkdsk a few times
I opened the case and cleaned it also changed the memory wnen it first started
I had HHD running and it said the HD was OK and it wasnt running hot.
I deleted a lot of those programs to eliminate issues.
===
So what about win indexing and outlook issues, I described above.

It seems to take 10 min to log in then runs ok, just slow now...

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

Indexing...IMO...is a useless feature. I disable it whenever I do a clean install of Windows, so it never runs on my systems. I understand the stated purpose of indexing...but I've never found that the absence of it impacts my systems.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=13&gs_id=1c&xhr=t&q=disable+indexing&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&biw=1440&bih=699&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=disable+inexi&aq=0l&aqi=g-l4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=aa712503257bd70e

I consider it a user-preference item, similar to System Restore in that it uses system resources in an unnecessary manner. SR is unnecessary only if you do routine backups or imaging of the system...indexing has never proven itself to be necessary on my systems.

You mention Outlook...are you referring to Outlook that is part of MS Office...or Outlook Express, which is part of IE?

I don't like Outlook so I don't use it, I find it obnoxious and unnecessary for my email client purposes...while I've used OE with regularity. I have previously tried various other email clients, just to see how they respond and why others choose to use them...but I find OE does the job for me. I can't answer any questions about Outlook.

We have a forum for Web Browsing/Email and Business Applications that routinely deal with questions about those topics.

In my experience...if the email client suddenly develops problems after having performed flawlessly before...the quick cure is probably uninstalling/reinstalling it.

Louis

#11 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

In my first post i state what I think is the problem Outlook [not express]has taken over my XP and lists the number of emails I have waiting before I even logon. I wanted to know how to stop that.
Also I installed indexing because outlook was not searching my email correctly. It did not fix the problem. I unistalled it but windows never seemed to run good again. It had to have the service stopped and to uncheck it on the c drive..I am wondering if I need to do anything else.

I took your advice and started running chkdsk. I started it at 5 am and it is still running at 9 am it is on stage 4of 5 and seemes to do 4% in the last hour. ..Is this slowness a sign of somthing else wrong?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

I have run chkdsk on large drives/partitions (1GB or so) and the size of the partition makes chkdsk /r take longer than it would on a smaller partition. I don't remember the exact amount of time it took...but it seems to me that it was in the 3-4 hour cycle.

Like any other processs...the more there is to do, the harder chkdsk /r must work and the longer it takes. If the partition needed chkdsk run before now...and you are just doing it...the time will be longer. If you ran it last week and there haven't been major changes to that partition, the duration should be lessened.

I treat chkdsk /r like the key utility that it is...however long it takes is fine with me. When it cannot run or encounters something that I should be concerned about that prevents it's completion...it will generate an onscreen error message.

Let the command complete.

Louis

#13 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

oh and outlook is fine [ except for search, which has never worked right] and has not changed...it is the indexing that i activated and the counting emails in XP that is the problem

#14 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

Started booting into XP no desktop showing just blinking curser
Booted in diag mode from msconfig
Worked fine
booted in selctive with loading services checked only. started the slow response ...5 min to login

#15 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

No replies in a few days...no one has any ideas??? I am out of ideas too...so here is what I did:
I bought a new hard drive and installed it . I had been given a copy of vista with the HP since it had just been released when I bought the computer.I installed vista and copied my files on to it. It works fine now but I have to reinstall all my programs.

Of course I am still wondering about my original hard driv...so i though why dont I just updrade that one to vista. I do have 2 copies of vista cuz I bought 2 computers at the time, one for a friend who will never use vista unless I install it!
so i inserted the cd in but it would not boot ...so then I decided to use the pc recovery that is installed on the hidden drive ....it is now recovering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users