Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Openoffice is giving me heartache

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 niftygeek

niftygeek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:40 AM

Openoffice is freezing when I'm using writer and calc documents of different sorts.

These might be separate issues, but I'm not sure. I have three clues to go on so far.

Firstly, Calc was freezing up when I had loads of forumals, doing SUM()'s across maybe ten sheets. I went through that for a month or two and decided to uninstall/reinstall.

Now that I've reinstalled, I've found that Writer is locking up not long after opening or creating a document (whether it is a converted or native file type) That's the second tidbit of info.

Thirdy, when trying to associate .doc files with another program I found that there were two entries for openoffice writer to choose from. I chose neither but I was wondering if perhaps there was an issue with an incomplete uninstall. I know some apps have difficulties uninstalling themselves (like Norton, for instance).

Some stats on the machine/setup.

Running Windows 7 Pro.
Openoffice version 3.3.0 build 9567 (was also locking up in version 3.2.x)

Wondering if there is anyone else who has run into similar issues that might be able to shed some light on the situation.

Thanks,
Pat.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

Pat, I would recommend you post at the OpenOffice.org forum for help. Be sure you are running the most current version, too. I think it is v.3.3.1...you'll need to verify that.

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 JRoe

JRoe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

Also, you could discard OpenOffice all together and go with Libre Office.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

Well...I'd like to know how much RAM is installed :).

Louis

#5 Styck

Styck

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

Also, you could discard OpenOffice all together and go with Libre Office.

IS Libre similar to Open Office 3.1 and FREE

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:18 PM

<snip>since LibreOffice split off from OpenOffice.org, the new office suite has maintained a more rapid release cycle than the old 18-month cycle maintained by Sun and Oracle. It is not clear how rapidly OpenOffice.org will update as the suite moves forward within the Apache system, but it’s a fair bet that the development cycle will speed up.

LibreOffice’s development cycle has put its version 3.4.2 ahead of OpenOffice.org’s 3.3.0, in more ways than just version numbers. The LibreOffice team is implementing a lot of fixes that many in that development community felt were needed. For instance, LibreOffice’s ability to import file from Microsoft Office is getting better than that of OpenOffice.org. Opening heavily revised and commented Word files in OpenOffice.org still leads to misrendered comments and loads of font issues, while LibreOffice Writer handles revisions, comments, and fonts nearly perfectly.<snip>

Quote from: http://olex.openlogic.com/wazi/2011/libreoffice-vs-openoffice-org-showdown-for-best-open-source-office-suite/

http://www.libreoffice.org/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Linda.Christ

Linda.Christ

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:13 AM

Open Office is a open source software. You cannot expect software stability & support like Microsoft.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

I have to disagree with that sentiment. You can and should expect a reliable product with support from an open source product. Otherwise what is the point of creating something and say it's open source but not worth bothering with, because it is junk and has no support.

Case in point, most if not all the flavors of ubuntu.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Styck

Styck

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

I have OPEN OFFICE the new Version 3.3??? IIRC....haven't had any issues yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users