Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Upgrade Help.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guyddd

Guyddd

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:20 AM

Hello, with the holidays coming near and pc hardware prices beginning to drop, I decided to upgrade my current setup. Basically my CPU, motherboard and RAM. I have seen a few items that I think would work together but I just wanted to get a few opinions if this will even work together.
This is it:
Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138290&Tpk=A780L3L
CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103872
RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313086
I decided to try and keep the price as low as possible, for self satisfaction :), so if I need to up the price I wouldn't mind! Thanks for any help I can get!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:14 AM

It should work. What are you going to be using this PC for? You can also get newer hardware for a bit more cash.

If you want to use current AM3 and AM3+ CPU's, for maximum compatibility and future upgrade options, there are other choices such as...

Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ - This will take both AM3 and AM3+ CPU's. The AMD 900 series is the newest chipset. This is also a full ATX board, so if your case only holds micro ATX, you may want to shop around for a smaller board. $84

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz - It's not a triple core, but is costs roughly the same and should get similar performance in most applications due to it's more powerful architecture. If you want a new FX series quad core, the AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ is a good CPU at a good price. $87

If you are more interested in a general purpose PC without the need to buy a graphics card, AMD's APU line is a great option with a better graphics core and X86 CPU over the Athlon's.

Motherboard: ASRock A75M-HVS FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) - Due to the design of AMD's APU's, this requires a different motherboard. The FM1 CPU will be end-of-life with the FM2 CPU's coming out next year, so your future upgrade paths are limited. This is micro-ATX. $69

APU/CPU: AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz Socket FM1 - This is AMD's mid-range APU, which is like combining a Phenom II X4 CPU core with a Radeon 6530 graphics core on one chip. Both graphics and X86 processing take place on the APU. This is different from motherboards that have on-board graphics, those have the (Usually bad) integrated graphics soldered onto the board itself. $119

Also, keep in mind that due to licensing restrictions, you may have to purchase a copy of Windows if you are using an OEM or system builders version. These versions have their license tied to a motherboard, so, new motherboard, new PC. There is nothing on a technical level keeping you from simply installing the old OEM version and activating manually.

Edited by DJBPace07, 27 November 2011 - 02:17 AM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users