Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winterizing an old house

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

I have spent every Saturday for the past 5 weekends winterizing my old house a little at a time.
I know that some of us discussed this last year as well.

My house is relatively small, 600 square feet. Its 100 year old lath and plaster walls and has the original windows and doors.
Last winter was rought in the great plains. An old house has lots of little drafts that you dont feel until it is 20 below with a north wind at 40 miles an hour+ and two feet of snow on the ground. Then you feel every one of them!

This year I am taking the time to do it right while the weather holds out.
Every window in this house has been caulked both inside and out.
Every crack on anything outside has been patched as well as possible and believe me, there were some big ones!
The window in the living room where the air conditioner is has an entire roll of insulation stuffed around and under it.
I used over 40 feet of weather stripping on that window alone. No drafts anymore!

So far plastic on the outside, nailed up with lath and caulking on the windows and doors inside and out has helped immensely!
I went through a lot of weather stripping and 12 tubes of caulk so far.
Even went so far as to use the weather insulator things for the electrical outlets on the outside walls.
Inside widow kits are going up next weekend.

The wind was ripping hard out of the north today any my little house was cozy.

Anybody else have any suggestions before the snow starts flying?
In the beginning there was the command line.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

buy a new house. lol no just kidding, but good thick curtains on the windows always helps to. In the future, perhaps planting trees on the north side of the house as a wind block?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

A couple thoughts
You did cover the A/C from either the out or inside so the breezes do not pass thru.
Door sweeps.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

AC is covered tight both inside and out.
Did door sweeps as well

I like Patriots suggestion but too many little issues are exactly why I didn't buy this house.

Every little bit makes it better. One always learns from the mistakes of the previous year and does it better afterward.
Snow will be flying soon! I want to be ready and try to keep the ulilities down.

At least the place is small enough that I can heat it so far with a space heater or two.

It is a classic Catch 22. Save on gas to pay more for electricity.
Or pay more gas and less for electricity.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users