Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resize virtual Disk size

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

I work as a Computer Technician for a company that supports clinics, hospitals, small businesses, etc...

A doctor who has a Mac, apparently has a Virtual Windows XP environment running on it from which he uses his medical software from (MaximEyes).

Recently they had an upgrade and the tech that wanted to upgrade this on his Mac said that he needed more disk space. Now, his Mac, from what I am told, has a 360 G drive on it. So the theory is that the drive that is partitioned for the Windows XP environment is the space restriction that is disallowing the software upgrade.

I have a Fedora 16 Linux box at home, so I created a virtual XP session on it, but now I am scratching my head trying to figure out how one would resize the partition size for this virtual machine.

Can anyone construct any sign posts to put me in the right direction?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

Well...it depends on how the partitions are setup. Is the XP partition behind the mac partition? If so you should do something like this:

1. Download MyDefrag: http://www.mydefrag.com/Manual-DownloadAndInstall.html

2. Run it on the XP machine...this will move all of the data to the front of the drive.

3. Download the Gparted LiveCD and burn it to a cd: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

4. Run the LiveCD...if you need help with Gparted I can walk you through it...but since you're running Linux I assume you have a working knowledge of partitioning. The basic idea is to add more space at the end of the XP partition. :)

Let me know if you need any help! :)

EDIT: Wait a minute...just realized his is running in a virtual environment as well. In that case...what virtual machine is he using?

Edited by A Future Pilot, 26 November 2011 - 06:33 PM.

#3 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

Found that the user is using Parallels on his Mac (Lions) to run his virtual XP enviornment.

Found this resouce that might be helpful:

My link

Edited by SysTech Guy, 28 November 2011 - 12:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users