Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is your favorite and most useful Linux app?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 laki01

laki01

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

What is your favorite and most useful free Linux applications? Mine are Cinelerra, True Crypt, BleachBit, Amarok and Dolphin. Recommend some apps I don't know about?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 justin freese

justin freese

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

Hello! I personally use Cinelerra for editing videos, Clonezilla for cloning machine and Cinepaint for editing photos. You can also try the following:

1. Apache - A web server and one of the most successful Linux application.
2. Firefox - A web browser
3. Dropbox - A online storage
4. Getting things Gnome - A personal organizer
5. LibreOffice - A word processor

For more listing of Linux applications, you can visit this link: http://www.techyv.com/article/top-20-free-linux-software
or
http://www.linfo.org/appslist.html

#3 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

Mine ...

Remastersys to make full DVD backups of my install http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/

CLI Companion : " ... is a tool to store and run Terminal commands from a GUI. People unfamiliar with the Terminal will find CLI Companion a useful way to become acquainted with the Terminal and unlock its potential. Experienced users can use CLI Companion to store their extensive list of commands in a searchable list." https://launchpad.net/clicompanion

Ubuntu Tweak " ... an application to config Ubuntu easier for everyone. It provides many useful desktop and system options that the default desktop environment doesn't provide." http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

+1 to Ubuntu Tweak. I also like LibreOffice, Gparted, and Banshee (among others). :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:20 AM

Remastersys to make full DVD backups of my install http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/

I used to love Remastersys.

Some Of My Favourites Are:
- Gtkhash, because it's a beautiful simple hashing tool with support for lots of algos. I find checksums very interesting, and useful.
- Wget, because it so useful for downloading things in instructions, and in scripts.
- mksquashfs and unsquashfs, because many live-environments make use of squashfs files, and these tools are useful for modifying them.
- firefox, because I do lots of web browsing.
- Dolphin, because it's one of the most customizable file-managers. I don't use it much these days though, because the file search feature has serious bugs.
- VLC. I don't know how I ever survived without it.
- Pluma, because it looks nice, but is also a very feature rich text editor.
- Gparted. The best disk and partition manager I've ever used.

Edit: forgot to put Gparted on my list.

Edited by hollowface, 05 January 2017 - 01:21 AM.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

Quite simple.

The GIMP; SimpleScreenRecorder; OpenShot; VLC; Audacious.....and WINE.

Oh, and any of the Chromium-based browsers (even Chrome itself!)

I also agree with hollowface about mksquashfs and unsquashfs, as these are used extensively in Puppy's packaging system tools. And gParted.....

'Nuff said.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 January 2017 - 12:57 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

Well, THAT'S no fun - I was going to welcome the top two Posters then realised hollowface had breathed new life into this Topic, and also listed the two I was going to mention:

1. GParted, because running 50 Distros, I use it daily, and
  2. GTKHash - like it so much I wrote a Tutorial https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612134/gtkhash-backtrack-for-safer-future-downloading-of-isos/

If I were to choose another it would likely be French product Multisystem - I have a 64GB stick dedicated to it, with 20 bootable isos on it and half the space still available.

:wizardball: Wizard

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

If I were to choose another it would likely be French product Multisystem - I have a 64GB stick dedicated to it, with 20 bootable isos on it and half the space still available.

:wizardball: Wizard

Hey, that sounds very tasty Wizard!  I tried the other one and did not work for me Yumi I think.  I'll have to give this one a go!  I suspect you cannot install from it?

O...my Vote is FREE Apps LOL.  Anything that works for free just blows my mind.  I will never understand how there are so many free apps/programs for free that are so good, including Linux Distro's.  Well, I understand why, but it's still a little hard to wrap any logic around all this freeware.  When my finances get better I will be donating to some of these.  Ones I use the most include:

1. Down Them All thanks to cat1092

2. Timeshift, thanks to all, Nick and Wizard I think were the two that brought this one to the forum.

3. GtkHash of course, but these days I try to only download iso's on Windows so that I can use another favorite "Universal USB Installer".

4. Recently, NoSquint Addon, mostly for Firefox so that I can adjust the Zoom.

This list could go on but will stop here.

Oh...and Xmarks!  Use this one constantly on all my Browsers.

Edited by pcpunk, 06 January 2017 - 07:34 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

These are some "apps" that i use nearly everyday.

GIMP - Like Photoshop

Scribus - Like Adobe InDesign

GParted - Multiple OS's

Chrome - (for netflix)

Audacity - audio editing/recording 

RecordMyDesktop - I make tuts with it

Mozilla ThunderBird - Email

FireFox - Basic browser

TeamViewer - Help my (personal) clients 

Python (IDLE) 2.7 - programming/coding

Quassel IRC - IRC Client

and

REC Studio - De-compiler

Forgot to add WPS Suite :)

I used to use Cinelerra but I switched to OpenShot.

like everyone else has said the list can go on forever :P but these are the ones i use almost everyday

Edited by Viper_Security, 06 January 2017 - 02:32 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

2. Timeshift, thanks to all, Nick and Wizard I think were the two that brought this one to the forum.

Nick brought Aptik (also from Tony George's stable) and I brought Timeshift - Aptik current version is excellent.

:wizardball: Wiz

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

While TINYPIC  is probably not a died in the wool 'app' for linux...it is certainly one of my favourites.

I use it daily to 'host' images to the BC site.

After saving a pic to my desktop it only takes me approx 25 seconds to load a pic to whatever page i am on.  Simple !!

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:45 AM

Hey, that sounds very tasty Wizard!  I tried the other one and did not work for me Yumi I think.

If you are using Debian-based, or specifically, Ubuntu-based Distros, it is easy to install. Their site always used to (& I haven't checked lately), proive a .run or .sh to download and run, but I found it cumbersome.

For the viewers - PPAs (Personal Package Archives) were invented by Ubuntu, you don't have them, with Debian or its immediate serivatives such as antiX or MX-15/16 &c.

I carry a script I made with me from Distro to Distro called "multiget", which looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main'
wget -q -O - http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot/multisystem.asc | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install multisystem

If you just eliminate that first line, you can install it.

It will likely end up under Accessories on your Menu, along with its "cousin" Multisystem Test Iso, which is a QEMU-based virtual checker.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

yada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users