Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons modified in Explorer and Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 YorkshireJumbo

YorkshireJumbo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

I'm running Vista 32-bit SP2 on HP Pavilion. My PC rebooted after a power outage - the UPS didn't shut it down quickly enough. Upon restarting, some of my desktop icons have had smaller icons superimposed, but there appears to be no pattern (jpg's have different changes, pdf, bat & txt are the same). After a while the extras disappeared and all seemed normal, but after I rebooted it this morning, I had a brief reappearance of the unwanted extras in an explorer window - changing the view removed them, but something isn't right.
Posted Image

I've scanned the PC with ESET (with help from the security forum), and my Norton Internet Security 2011 found nothing either. I reviewed the process manager and HJT log but I can't see anything untoward, so I'm fairly certain it's not malware. Has anyone seen anything similar?
You may have speed - but I have momentum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Touchito

Touchito

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

Hi, YorkshireJumbo!

Those modified icons could be sign of something worse. I guess you tried a System Restore already and it didn’t work. I would try Check Disc to “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors and automatically fix system errors” (This takes an average of around 5 hours): Start>Computer>(C:)>Properties>Tools>Check now. If you tried this already too and it didn't fix your machine, you could try your Last Known Good Configuration: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration
Hope this helps.

Touchito

#3 YorkshireJumbo

YorkshireJumbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

I haven't tried system restore, as I've no idea what is causing it. I run spinrite regularly, which is much lower-level than check disk. It takes more than 24 hours to check my internal disks, so I tend to run it overnight for a few days as it's restartable. I'll try that tonight.

I've just rebuilt the icon cache as I had to delete after upgrading to the latest version of NIS, so I hope that might solve it...
You may have speed - but I have momentum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users