Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A "billion"...how Much Is That?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:14 PM

"The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion'casually, think about whether you want the politician spending your tax money.

"A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into perspective in one of its releases.

"A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

"A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

"A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

"A billion days ago no one walked on earth.

"A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government spends it."

One more note if your a "One in a million" type of person,... well in China there's at least a thousand of ya!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :inlove: That is some perspective boopme.
A billion thanks!! :trumpet:
Posted Image

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:25 PM

Cool perspective, but did you know that a billion has a different meaning in different countries?

http://www.punahou.edu/acad/sanders/geomet...BillionEtc.html

So which billion are you using? :thumbsup:

Edited by yano, 01 February 2006 - 05:25 PM.

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,734 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:45 PM

On the other hand, a billion clock cycles on your computer translates to about 1/2 sec ago.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:51 PM

Really, a 1/2 a second ago, a billion clock cycles???
:thumbsup: Wow, oh wow!
Posted Image

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:10 PM

"The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion'casually, think about whether you want the politician spending your tax money.

I did.

"A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

Lionel Penrose presented his view on automated self-replication in his Scientific American article 'Self-Reproducing Machines'. He described a simple two dimensional model of this structure which could be activated, multiply, mutate and attack. Shortly after Penrose's article appeared, Frederick G. Stahl reproduced this model in machine code on an IBM 650.

"A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

Amen!

"A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

grunt ... Aickia! ... ahhh ... grunt

"A billion days ago no one walked on earth.

[ ... ]

"A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government spends it.

It used to be all the talk on Capital Hill, debate in the Senate & House, speeches from the White House and all the press coverage might roughly equal in words the dollars spent in the time it took to spend them.
Those days are truly gone forever. No amount of verbosity can match the pace of spending. It's not that "talk is getting cheaper" so much as it is those doing the talking are getting more to do it and working far less hours at it. The State of the Union Address seemed to me to be a miracle of brevity, an exceedingly concise summation that set a new standard in balancing the application of vagueness to issues requiring close scrutiny with keen lucidity targeted for issues that haven't a chance of resolution as witnessed by centuries of continuing conflicts. I can only paraphrase the President's statement about 'hindsight not being wisdom in light of the need for timely strategic decision-making' as a response to criticism of the present money-gulping war having been launched upon faulty intelligence.

Sorry, I'm possibly being somewhat :thumbsup: and in the wrong forum for it ...

btw... the self-replicating machine model is thought to have been the first introduction of computer malware.

Edited by phawgg, 03 February 2006 - 03:14 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users