Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Ceases To Open Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spindm

spindm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

Hello and thank you for your willingness to help us less than expert computer users. My name is Mike and I am a first-time poster on BC. I want to apologize now for the length of my post, but I want to supply as much detail as possible to assist anyone in helping me.

First off I am having problems with my home PC. It is an e-machine T6412 by Gateway. The installed OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP 2 (build 2600), security updates downloaded automatically. 512 MB RAM. My processor: 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64, 256 kilobyte primary memory cache, 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache. My drive: 200.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, 191.31 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space. My Local Drive Volumes: c: (NTFS on drive 0) 195.26 GB 188.40 GB free, d: (FAT32 on drive 0) 4.77 GB 2.91 GB free. My internet connection is Ethernet DSL/Cable for my local ISP and dail up for AOL using IE 6 for my browser. I utilize Norton SystemWorks 2005, keep it updated regulary, and conduct scans at least weekly. In addition I utilize Zone Alarm Client version 6.1 as my firewall. I also utilize several malware/spyware programs almost daily. They include: XoftSpy Application Version 4, 21, 0, 0, SpyBot-S&D Version 1, 4, 0, 3, SpywareBlaster Version 3.05.0001, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Microsoft Anti-spyware BETA, SpyWare Guard, and AOL Spy Zapper. I also keep them updated regularly.

Some of these programs I began using just a couple weeks ago after experiencing a virus problem. I have resolved those issues and my system is now clean and virus/trojan/malware/spyware free. However, I am experiencing some problems that may be a result of the infections or possibly something else. That is where I hope someone here can help me.

On a daily basis, sometimes 3-4 times a day and almost every morning I have to reboot my computer to get any programs to open. What happens is either after sitting in stand-by for some time or even when using the computer and I close one program to open another, all programs quit responding or open and then hang-up. When I log off, I get several End Program windows such as ccApp, #3224, #3564, #3936, gcasServ.exe, waol.exe, that I have to click end program on. Then all my desktop icons will go away as if the computer is logging off but it will not proceed any further, leaving my desktop wallpaper open. I then have to turn off the computer with the on/off button and restart it. Everything will then work ok for a while and then I have to repeat the above process after some time.

Another thing is during startup, my startup programs in the task bar take about 2-3 minutes to load. I also get 2 notifications at start up that OSA.exe and shdocvw.dll are allowed. Are these ok? Could they be causing the problems?

I hope I have provided enough info, but not too much. Can anyone help me?

Thank you for your time, Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:52 PM

It sounds like you still have something on your system. Some malware can reinstall itself and it can also happen that if you install an av program on a computer that has a virus, it will accept that virus as normal.

I would recommend running and posting a Hijack This Log and letting someone analyze what is going on inside your computer.

For directions on preparing and posting a Hijack This Log go to

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Don't do anything until someone has responded to your post, sometimes you can make a slow computer a non-functioning computer by deleting the wrong thing. Please be patient, it may take a while someone on the HJT team to get to you, but someone will.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:25 PM

Prior to posting a log, run Scandisk/Checkdisk and defrag your computer if you have not done this already. This may reduce some of the problems.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 spindm

spindm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the replies and the advise. I will do these things this morning. I will return later to let you know the results.

Mike

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:44 AM

My thought involves program conflicts.

The newness of your using some of them brings it to mind,
more than anything.

Some of these programs I began using just a couple weeks ago after experiencing a virus problem.

It depends on how you have them all configured,
but the potential exists for conflicts between some of the "resident protection" features,
in particular, of these applications:

SpyBot-S&D Version 1, 4, 0, 3 [spybot SD Resident 'tea-timer']
Microsoft Anti-spyware BETA [real-time protection]
SpyWare Guard

and possibly features of these might be involved:

AOL Spy Zapper
XoftSpy Application Version 4, 21, 0, 0
Norton SystemWorks 2005

When I log off, I get several End Program windows such as ccApp, #3224, #3564, #3936, gcasServ.exe, waol.exe, that I have to click end program on

ccApp = Norton
gcasServ.exe = MSAS Beta
waol.exe = AOL user interface which allows you to logon to the AOL network, and the Internet.
#3224, #3564, #3936 = (?) (?) (?)

Factor in the potential for system slowdown if/when all auto-update at individual schedule-times
and it is quite possible something is consistantly freezing vital OS system operation.
Or did once, and the remaining "fallout" is the culprit.

I think Gateway PC's do have an added-on communication feature,
relative to possible updates & Microsoft updates, too.

I think you are probably aware of this and deal with it,
but the new applications added might have inadvertanty triggered something.

Which provides you with basic anti-virus protection?

Conflict troubleshooting generally calls for systematic disabling and/or uninstalling of
features, or the programs themselves, one at a time ... testing after each modification.

I also think it's a good practice to clean all of these folders:
Temporary Internet Files
Temp Files
Prefetch Files

Some of these applications produce log files that can build up, too.
The crashs & forced shutdowns do to.

I then have to turn off the computer with the on/off button and restart it.

Two things I'd be checking are:
Event Logs ... Application, Security & System for actual error codes each time this stuff happens.
Registry ... at least running a couple independent Registry check/repair programs

Norton SystemWorks offers it's reg cleaning feature (at least 2002 did, I used it)
Clues can be obtained observing what is being targeted.
I got into the habit of running:
Reg Supreme
Ccleaner (free) the issues tab
JV 16 Power Tools v1.3 (free) registry tool > tools > registry cleaner
not necessarily to actually effect changes, but more to offer glimpses of what each reveal.

Keep at it ... something is bound to come of careful, methodic analysis.

At this point, subtractions will likely help more than additions. :thumbsup:

Joe
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users