Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User files moved

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

I currently have a 30gb SSD with my OS on it, but just moved the user files/ locations to my E drive and all. I am planning on upgrading to a 80GB ssd and will reinstall/re-image it over.

I have never used any imaging software, so what would be best (free), or if i did a fresh install on the new one, and did my origional way of moving the user folders by changing the registry entries to point to E instead of C, would i need to use a new user name? or if i put the same, would it try to override my current user folder?

I would take it a cloning would be best, as it would just need to clone about 22-23 GB to move to the new 80gb drive, but again I have never used it before so don't know much about that kind of software

Any advise/links to some that you have used / recommend?
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

Cloning or imaging has nothing to do with moving the files, so I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but I'll try to answer what I can.

First, if you mean you moved the Documents folder, there's nothing to change in the registry - it knows you moved it. If you're talking about other files or folders, please explain what it is you moved and what needs to be directed to it. As for imaging or cloning, here's something I put together a while ago that may (I hope) help:

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.
I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.
2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.
3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.
4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

#3 arknaz

arknaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

Well my OS is on the C: drive a 30Gb ssd. I moved the registry points from C:\Users\Scott to E:\Users\Scott ( my 640 gb HD) So all my user files are saved on my other Hard drive and NOT the SSD since its so small

This may help to see what i have done so far, SSD move user folders is the link to where i moved the user folders and shows what i did in the registry to move it.

I guess my question is if i snapshot my current C drive (the 30 gb ssd), and then re-image it onto the 80 gb one, would it go through without a problem? I would think so, since everything would be the same in it just on a new drive.

Hope that helps with what im asking :)

EDIT

After looking at the link, does my question for reinstalling make sense?, since a NEW install the registry would still point at C:\Users instaed of mine...but my name is already there, so I dont know how that would effect it...or if imaging it would just be easier.

thanks

Edited by arknaz, 26 November 2011 - 01:37 PM.

Samsung Chromebook +
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are doing or why you are doing it. Nor do I understand why you are using an SSD. Why not just do a clean install to your hard drive?

#5 arknaz

arknaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

Because i dont want that many read/ writes to the SSD, and the user folder is where i save a lot of files and remove/move them from.

The ssd is for a boot drive...makes it super fast (bout 5-10 seconds to boot on my system)
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

Yes, I understand it will boot faster to an SSD - I just don't understand why that's important enough to mess around with the rest of the files. But hey, that's just me - I never cared how long it takes a system to boot as long as it runs properly once it's up.

Perhaps someone else will have better suggestions than I do - sorry I can't be of more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users