Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Default Program for EXE files?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SantaFebuff

SantaFebuff

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

Okay, I have Windows 7, and I accidentally set my default program for a video game to open with as Windows Explorer... I know, long story. Now, every program and icon is Windows Explorer and I can't figure out how to get everything back to normal. :(

Any help is very welcome by me.

Cheers,
Joshua

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

When you run an .exe file on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer, the file may start a different program http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505

Note Windows 7 users should go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Edited by Union_Thug, 25 November 2011 - 07:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users