Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ChromeRecovery.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 waltcs

waltcs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

I have an Acer Netbook running Windows XP Service Pack 3 with with Norton Security

While surfing the web using the latest version of Chrome, Norton Security notified me that ChromeRecovery.exe was downloaded and found to be a "safe file". At the time of this notification I was not in the process of downloading any files. The notification window also indicated that this was an "unknown" type of file, etc.

I saved the notification to the ClipBoard and then conducted a thorough search for the file, with negative results.

I then updated the latest definitions of Malwarebytes and ran a complete scan in safe mode with no network connection. The results were, again, negative.

I then did another complete search for the file in safe mode with negative results.

After getting back on the internet, I searched google, this site and Norton's website for any information on this file, again with negative results.

Does anyone have any idea what this file consists of? Have I unwittingly infected my computer with some sort malware? If so, how do I get rid of it?

Thanking you in advance. Any responses will be appreciated.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 November 2011 - 04:22 PM.
Moved to Webbrowsing from XP forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

FWIW: http://www.itsamples.com/google-chrome-password-recovery.html

That program seems to require manual install.

If you suspect infection...you should have this topic moved (by me) to a forum devoted to malware.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#3 waltcs

waltcs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

Hi Louis,

Yes, I do think the topic should be moved to malware. My security suite keeps notifying me that it's on my computer in a TEMP file but all my efforts to remove it have failed.

Thanks for your assistance.

Walt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users