Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Boot mgr is missing" err, [Already applied the fix..read on]

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HBIC32

HBIC32

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

So, a few months back I had to take everything off my desk, clean it, air dust out the whole computer and place everything back. I made sure everything was plugged in securely inside, and outside the PC, and booted up. I got this error "Boot mgr is missing, press ctrl alt del to restart" After a few tries, I shut it all back down and re-checked everything and booted up again. It worked! So i went on about my business, a little worried but scared to do anything else to the PC at all. However, I had to install a DVD drive because the other one died. Same thing happened again when I booted back up. This time, I looked up the error, (on another PC) and ran windows repair as per the usual fix for that problem. Not only did it freeze up several times and give me problems, once it finally "repaired" I still got the same error while booting. Now, it's doing it again when i just barely move my computer.

TL;DR:
When I move my PC or anything in it (with it off) and boot up, I get this error.

So I've narrowed it down to loose cables. But which one? I go through and check ALL cables when doing this check. I've replaced the IDE cable that goes to the HD's and the DVD drive has a new sata cable. I can't think of what else to do since I've already tried repairing it. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

If you have any questions or need anything else from me to determine the cause, don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by hamluis, 27 November 2011 - 04:52 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 2ndgen

2ndgen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

Since you've repalaced the HDD cable and still get the error that just about narrows it down to the motherboard. Something is flexing and causing a lost connection when the computer is moved. Could be at the HDD end also. Most likely a cold solder joint or a defect in one of the layers in the motherboard or HDD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users