Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack causes loss of Bookmarks, Pictures, etc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 computerdummie1

computerdummie1

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:35 PM

Hi,

I just loaded "Windows Service Pack 1", onto my Vista system, it took a long time, over an hour. My computer had been running really slow, my mouse dragging, and other issues, and I decided to try this to fix it. I'm a non computer person, don't use the computer daily, and this service pack update had been sitting in my computer for a long time.

I have lost all my bookmarks, passwords, pictures and videos. it's like everything was "set to zero" on my computer. Although one strange thing, in "public pictures", they are still there, but all pictures (my main ones) in my files are gone.

What the heck caused this, and are these things still buried in my computer anywhere? Thankfully, I have Carbonite, so can get the pictures back, but my Videos are gone due to you having to backup manually on Carbonite which I hadn't done. (Could Carbonite have the bookmarks and passwords saved??)

Any advice, help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Edited by computerdummie1, 25 November 2011 - 01:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

Hi,

For what it's worth, Microsoft advises the following before updating:

Back up your important files to an external location, such as an external hard disk, DVD or CD, or USB flash drive. For more information, search for "backup" in Windows Help and Support.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Learn-how-to-install-Windows-Vista-Service-Pack-1-SP1

That said, I have updated many computers with service packs and have experienced no problems or data lose.

My computer had been running really slow, my mouse dragging, and other issues, and I decided to try this to fix it.

There are many potential causes for your symptoms including hardware, software, and malware issues.

My advice is to first rule out malware as a possible cause of slowness and folder loss by posting in the Bleeping Computer: Am I Infected Forum?

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users