Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reload computer files onto new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fredg

fredg

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

I have windows vista home premium service pack 2 on a dell inspiron 545s system. When I log onto windows I get this message: Notice- hard drive self monitoring system has reported that a parameter has exceeded its normal operating range. Dell recommends that you back up your data regularly. A parameter out of range may or may not indicate a potential hard drive failure. Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter startup." I have run the dell diagnostic program and the hard drive failed one of the tests...(Htp test?) I have attempted system repair and it said it could not fix the computer and that the hard drive was bad. I have backed up my system onto 7 DVDs. Does the vista backup and restore center make a complete copy of the operating system including windows? I am not sure how to proceed as I am not familiar with how to remove, install or format a new hard drive. Can you help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/backupdata.aspx

"The file backup and restore features in Windows Vista help you keep your data safe from user error, hardware failure, and other problems. Windows Backup and Restore Center gives you one place to manage all backup and restore features. Depending on the version of Windows Vista you have, there are two approaches you can take to backing up files: Automatic Backup, which backs up just your files and data; or Complete PC Backup, which backs up everything on your PC, including the operating system and applications." From MS website.

See the Dell website/support webpage for your system...on how to reinstall Windows.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp535st/en/sm/drives.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users