Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Start-up Problem

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kerrygooner

kerrygooner

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:16 PM

Hello peeps, this is my first post, hope someone can dig me out of a hole.

Yesterday I ran the 'How To Remove The Smitfraud' program on my home PC...it got rid of the annoying SpySheriff message on my desktop and I was again able to choose a desktop background, which previously I wasn't able to do.

However, when logging out of Safe mode and rebooting Windows, I got into serious problems. The 'Windows is starting up' screen came up and stayed up for 2 minutes, before changing to the Network Users screen. Then, when I clicked on my personal icon, the screen went blue for a few seconds and then reverted to the start-up menu, as if I had asked for a restart. This happens every time, no matter which of the 4 Network User icons I click on - though on the other 3 home pages, the desktop background minus any desktop icons appears for a few seconds before quitting on me.

It seems likely that somewhere down the line, I have removed something I shouldn't have and now XP won't start up for me. I tried rebooting, did a system recovery, tried starting up with the last known configuration that worked...no go.

I don't have a back-up disk or XP disk of any description the PC came ready-loaded and am told that borrowing a colleague's XP disk won't do me much good. So...

1. Is there a fiendishly clever way to put things right without getting some expensive techno-head to pay a visit?
2. Is it worth upgrading to XP Pro and installing that instead? (this will work out at roughly the same cost as Mr techno-head)

If there is a silver lining in this tale, it's that the day before this happened, I copied my entire PC contents onto an external hard disk, so it won't be a complete disaster if I lose everything that's currently on there.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:27 AM

What kind of PC is it (make and model in particular)? There may be a hidden partition that has the required information on it. Or, you may be able to get restore disks from the manufacturer.

I don't think that upgrading to XPPro is necessary (unless you want more flexibility with security or network settings).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kerrygooner

kerrygooner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for replying, USASMA: it's an Octan 2800AIW, from a company called Carrera. They went into receivership early last year, which is why I can't get a recovery disk from them

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

Do you know if it's got a recovery partition on it? If it doesn't, then your alternatives are somewhat limited (ie - buying a copy of XP and installing it yourself).

Did you buy it new? If so, and they didn't provide recovery disks, then there's a good chance that there's a recovery partition on it. The best place to look for this would be in the manuals that came with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 kerrygooner

kerrygooner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:09 PM

You may laugh but it came with no manuals, so I am completely ignorant about any recovery partitions. What I have done is ordered a Windows Boot Disk CD which, hopefully, will get me back into Windows so I can run some checks and see whether any damage has been done. This is the eBay link to the product:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...:B:EOIBSA:UK:31

I'm expecting it Monday/Tuesday, so will let you know how I get on. Nothing ventured...

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

You can download XP boot disks for free.
Read the "read first" which will instruct you how to download and create the bootdisks.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 February 2006 - 07:54 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:39 AM

Is there any way to get into Windows (Safe Mode, etc)? If so, you can go to Start...Run... and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

This will show all your drives and the partitions that are available - if you can get this info let us know and we might be able to tell if there's a recovery partition (since this was a well-made PC I would suspect that there is one).

Also, do you have the CD key for the system? Without it (and without a recovery partition) you probably won't have much success trying another CD. But, if you do, I'd suggest that you try an XPHome CD that was an OEM version and of the same Service Pack level as the original installation.

Should that not work, you may want to contact Microsoft and let them know your problem.

Or, buy a retail copy of XPHome (I doubt that you'll need the added features of XPPro, but here's a link to a comparison: http://windows.about.com/od/tipsarchive/l/aa011014a.htm )

#8 kerrygooner

kerrygooner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for those suggestions. Sorry about the delay in replying, I' don't have access to a computer between Sunday and Tuesday.

The boot disk arrived on Monday with the following instructions:
1. Insert boot disk.
2. When the command screen comes up, eject boot disk and insert Windows XP CD-Rom.

Great: the only reason I am trying this disk is because I DON'T HAVE THE WONDOWS XP CD-ROM.

Enthusiast: not having the above CD-Rom means the bootdisk site won't be any good to me, unfortunately, as all instructions end with "be sure to complete the process with your Windows XP CD-Rom".

USASMA: I haven't been able to restart even in Safe mode, nor do I have the CD key, so it looks like buying a retail copy of XP Home in the next few days. I'll let you know how I get on...if that doesn't work, and it turns out to be something completely different, I'll laugh (in a slightly psychotic, lock-me-up-now manner)

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:18 PM

One huge advantage to getting XP Pro vs XP Home, aside from far more advanced security features and remote desktop capability is that Microsoft support for XP Pro will probably continue years after they discontinue support for XP Home.

If you are going to spend money replacing your op system, thet's the only logical way to go.

#10 kerrygooner

kerrygooner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:18 AM

Last night I managed to log in to Administrator in safe mode, so USASMA, tonight I will try your "diskmgmt.msc" suggestion and let you know what comes up.

Whilke I was in there I ran various scans but nothing showed up. I also had a look at the various files that were in the HijackThis quarantine, but there didn't seem to be anything that looked like a program that shouldn't be there.

The more I think about it, the more I feel there's something annoyingly obvious that will sort this problem out without the need to instal a new Windows XP Home/Pro.

By the way, the company that has taken over Carrera SSC Watford Electronics seem to have an entire website dedicated to how appalling they are at delivering/troubleshooting computers. If you want a chuckle, have a look at this:

http://www.grumbletext.co.uk/vt.php?t=430&...ghlight=watford

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:50 AM

Unless you are expert at the registry don't try to use HJT to fix the computer yourself.

Some things are ok if they are in certain files and not ok if they aren't.

Post your HJT log in the appropriate forum and let our experts analyze it and give you suggestions. An error can completely trash your op system.

#12 kerrygooner

kerrygooner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:55 AM

Is there any way to get into Windows (Safe Mode, etc)? If so, you can go to Start...Run... and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
This will show all your drives and the partitions that are available - if you can get this info let us know and we might be able to tell if there's a recovery partition (since this was a well-made PC I would suspect that there is one)

Sadly, all I got after doing this was an empty Disk Management folder with "Unable to connect to Logical Disk Manager Service" in the foot of the folder. There was a separate warning box for Logical Disk Manager that said: "The RPC server is unavailable".

Enthusiast: I will post the HJT log (if I can find the appropriate forum!) but after Saturday I won't be able to access your findings until next Wednesday

#13 kerrygooner

kerrygooner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:55 AM

Oh dear...I have no way of transferring the HijackThis log from my PC onto the forum. My PC can't access the internet at the moment and this (work) Mac won't accept any external media, so I can't use a floppy or CD to transfer it. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a tech head to make a home visit. If he can't fix it, no doubt you'll be reading about a vicious bludgeoning to death in the Wembley, London, area come Monday/Tuesday...

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:03 AM

When you start the windos computer tap F8. The boot menu will appear. Select, if you can, Safe Mode with Networking. This will allow you limited access to the internet. If you cannot use netorking then use Safe Mode and run your scans.
You do not have friends or family that will allow you to use their computer?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:06 PM

Oh dear...I have no way of transferring the HijackThis log from my PC onto the forum. My PC can't access the internet at the moment and this (work) Mac won't accept any external media, so I can't use a floppy or CD to transfer it. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a tech head to make a home visit. If he can't fix it, no doubt you'll be reading about a vicious bludgeoning to death in the Wembley, London, area come Monday/Tuesday...

You might be able to use a PC at an Internet Cafe or local library to post your Hijack This log.

Follow the directions for posting your HJT log found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Then post your log here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 February 2006 - 01:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users