Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I prove who hacked me?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JBELO

JBELO

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

Hi all, I've only just found this fab forum, and I'd love some help about the following.

I have a new neighbour, an electronic's engineer, who I barely know, and my family and I had just began to
befriend him and his wife. We helped them rather a lot, as they were also new to the country (I live in
Italy).
To cut a long story short, more we got to know them, the 'stranger' they seemed, the other day, out of the blue,
I had a phonecall from the wife, ranting and raving like a lunatic, swearing at me and accusing me of having said
certain things about her and her husband. She went into details, but only later I realized that she had just given
me the rundown on a conversation or two that I'd had with a friend, via facebook messages, where I had actually
mentioned her.
There was no way that she could have known about what I'd written, unless she'd read it. So putting two and two
together, I presume that in some way, her geeky husband (who incidentally has at least 5 computers and a lot of
electronic equipment), has gotten into my account and read my messages.
From the ranting and raving that she was doing, I think this must be going on for at least a month.

What I'd like to know is, is there any way that an expert can verify if I have been hacked, and trace the person
or the IP of the person that is responsable? The only thing I have on them is their email addresses, and they might
both come from the same computer (like i said, they have 5).

It's really necessary for me to know, as I want to charge them for this. I believe that mental illness is involved here,
as unfortunately other things have happened, such as someone keying my car as it sat in front of my house
(I have no concrete proof, but I know they're responsable).

I have contacted a computer expert who has asked me to bring him my pc and my modem, (I had a wireless unprotected ADSL connection),
but on the phone he didn't want to talk much.
Do you think I stand a chance of nailing this person? I don't think he's been through my emails, because of certain things that the
lunatic was ranting about, but they have definately read my facebook messages, and also those of one or two of my contacts.

Thanks for any answers and for spending time reading this message.

Cheers
JBELO

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ted Striker

Ted Striker

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

I'm not an expert but there a few other ways she could have found out about these facebook messages.

Does she know your friend? If not, is it possible that your friend talked to someone about your messages and then word got around to your neighbours? It's also possible that your friend's facebook account was hacked.

Do you sign out of your facebook account after using it? I'm not that familiar with facebook's security but if you don't sign out and someone uses your wifi connection and goes on facebook then they might have access to your account if facebook's login security is determined strictly by IP addresses instead of cookies. This is unlikely though.

Change your facebook passwords (and all other passwords... especially online banking) and secure your router if you think you've been hacked.

As for proving that someone hacked you; this is very unlikely unless you can convince the police to get involved and they inspect your neighbour's PC's. If these people are as unstable as you claim then try to resolve this peacefully and if that's not possible then avoid having any contact with them.

Edited by Ted Striker, 25 November 2011 - 12:11 PM.

#3 JBELO

JBELO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

Hi, thanks a lot for your answer. No, it's impossible that she found out about these messages from my friend, as they have no contact at all between them, and we live miles a part. They know me, they don't know her, so I presume they hacked me.

Yes, stupidly I am always logged into facebook, well I was, so I suppose he found the door open!

I have now changed all my passwords, and secured my modem. I really hoped there was some way of proving they violated my pc.

thanks again, you live and learn I suppose! I thought they were normal... wth...

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2011 - 02:11 PM.
Removed attempt at unnecessary quote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users