Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem after using ComboFix

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mikec89

mikec89

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

Alright I know I shouldn't of used ComboFix without having extensive knowledge on the program, but I used it anyways.

So here's the problem,

I'm running Windows 7 Home edition. I have had this one piece of malware, virus or adware that AVG usually catches on start up, strdt.exe in my temp folder. I've run MalwareBytes and SpyBot after AVG removes the infection and they both caught nothing. Every time I reboot my computer it would come back, so I decided to use ComboFix to remove it permanently. I have heard that ComboFix has problems when it comes to having Windows 7 and running AVG so I removed AVG before I ran the program. I forgot to remove AVG from the registry as ComboFix still said I had AVG running, but as you try to close ComboFix or cancel it, it will continue to load the program so I just went with it.

On the part where ComboFix says something like "Scanning your system, doesn't usually take more than 10mins ... ", It was on this screen for about 4 hours so I thought something was up. I tried closing down the program, but it sort of froze and stopped responding. I rebooted my computer since I couldn't access the task manager after this.

Once I logged back in, half of my desktop Icons were removed, programs and games. MalwareBytes was one of the removed and when I tried looking for it on my HDD I couldn't find it anymore leading me to believe it was deleted or something. I didn't get much more time to look around since I had to go to work so I shut down my computer and now I came here and haven't turned it on yet.

Any help would be appreciated as to what had happened. A guy I work with says to run ComboFix again and it may restore the files, but I'm wary of this solution. I've also heard of a program called Recuva that I was looking to try to get my desktop back to the way it was.

Again, help is appreciated and yes I know I messed up bad here. Thanks for the time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users