Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Help With Learning Options

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shiday


  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:37 AM

I have been working as a PC tech for several years now and would like to learn another topic.

I want to learn all there is to know ;) about home/office wiring (cat5, phone, ect.). I would like to learn more about how to run the lines through walls, ect.

Does anyone know of a school or company that trains in this particular area?

My main goal is to be able to offer customers the option of wiring there business/home with an ethernet network.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by shiday, 02 February 2006 - 08:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 Rimmer


  • Members
  • 2,159 posts
  • Location:near Sydney, Australia
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:09 PM

The answer depends on what part of the world you live in, since you need to satisfy local regulations. In Australia the Federal government has legislated a licence scheme for all installers of telecommunications wiring and you need to undertake an approved course, usually at a Technical College, to obtain a 'Base Cabler Licence'. The Base Licence covered telephone wiring, additional certification is then added to the Base Licence to cover different media such as Cat5, Coax, Fibre, Security etc. Private training organisations can also be acredited to run these courses.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 06 February 2006 - 06:10 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 RandomUser


  • Members
  • 518 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:41 PM

You can always find some resources on the net. IE Google.
BN probably has a plethora of self study guides, but your best option might be to enroll in your local Community College.

Good Luck

#4 acklan


    Bleepin' cat's meow

  • Members
  • 8,529 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Baton Rouge, La.
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

I'm self taught and I used google everytime I found something I needed to know. It sound simple but it works. You can also ask your questions here.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users