Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IMEI on GSM Networks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hello,

I am looking into buying a used smartphone but I have done my research and looked that one has to be care-full. <_<

For starters on the CDMA Networks like Verizon one has to check the ESN to make sure it is not "locked, stolen etc."

So It leads me to my question:

Since GSM phones work with SIM cards can they be locked as well (with there IMEI #)? Or can I just insert a different card and make it work?

And if there locked I guess the best thing to do is check it with a retail store we want to activate with right? :busy:

Thank-you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

If IMEI is banned because phone was stolen, then it wont work unless you go through the legal process which is not worth it and time consuming.

The stolen SIM can be banned too, but it can be easily replaced.

Most of the phones have anti-theft lock. If owner had set that lock, then it just keeps secretly sending message to owner specified phone. So make sure it is not activated and ask the different passwords used when buying used phone.

Phones that come bundled with connection package are often locked with SIM and only that SIM works on those phones. You have to contact network provider or vendor to get instructions on unlocking it. Usually you pay some fees to get it unlocked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users