Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update - error code 8007010B

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 YellowBelly

YellowBelly

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

For last month have been unable to install updates to Windows Vista. All updates now result in error 8007010B
(a while ago I did get a 'blue screen' error but it disappeared before I could make a note of it)

From link within 'Windows Update'
Ran Automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update Fixit from MS help and Support.
Issues found: Windows Update components must be repaired. .. . . . . Fixed
Tried one of the oldest updates - failed 8007010B.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tried Microsoft Answers

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/error-code-8007010b-windows-vista-home-premium-sp2/f5b0764a-ee81-e011-9b4b-68b599b31bf5?tab=AllReplies#tabs

Method 1
System Update Readiness Tool does not list KB947821

Method 2
System File Checker tool ends with message
'Beginning verification phase of system scan.'
'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation' *****????

Assuming I have no corrupted system files continued to step 2

ran msconfig and restart as clean boot

Reboot (ZoneAlarm virus software started)
Tried to install oldest update - failed 8007010B
ended ZoneAlarm
Tried to install oldest update - failed 8007010B

Tried running System file Checker (sfc /scannow) - same result as above

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Microsoft Answers thread seemed too old or not to apply

Searched bleepingcomputer.com

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic427812.html/page__p__2483040__hl__windows+update+__fromsearch__1#entry2483040
Error code is different but . .. .

Ran sfc multiple times and rebooted in clean boot and after stopping ZoneAlarm.
Same error as above so didn't continue with thread.
-- -----------------------------------------------------------

Also have checked hard disk (CHKDSK) for errors. Didn't see it end so presume it was OK.

Ran registry cleanup PC Tune-Up

System File Checker tool not running also seems to be an issue

Any suggestions would be appreciated. . . . . Ben

Edited by YellowBelly, 24 November 2011 - 02:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

I'll tell you that registry cleaners aren't recommended around here simply because they can harm your computer by cleaning the wrong thing if you don't know what you are doing. I'd stay away from them if I were you. I can't be sure about this, but I'll tell you that ZoneAlarm's reputation's gone down in the past few months. Some of the things they've done are appalling. And one thing to check is the error you got regarding Windows Resource Protection. WRP is the mechanism Windows uses to protect its crucial files so that users cannot touch them. I don't think WUA uses WRP at all, but I'll look into it for you. And another thing to check for is to ensure that you are connected to the internet when you check for updates. If not, then you'll get an error for WUA's lack of access to the Microsoft site will cause downloads to fail.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 YellowBelly

YellowBelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

Hey chromebuster,
Registry cleaners, what's done is done! ZoneAlarm, is it still a decent virus protection system?
I followed 'Get help with this error' links from Windows update to search for solutions and followed a procedure (for a different error message! which I thought was relevant) to clear the Update utility directories 'DataStore' and 'Download' within Windows/SoftwareDistributions. WUA when reran downloaded the same group of updates.
So I have internet access but have lost the history log.
. . . Ben

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

Did you get the updates though? And no, Zone Alarm is horrible. They even used rogueware tactics to get you to move from their free to their paid version. There, I said it. Get rid of that thing. And yes, I'll just say, don't use the registry cleaner again.

#5 YellowBelly

YellowBelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

I've been busy !

Found this thread; http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/282273-windows-update-problem-x64-code-8007010b-windows-update-encountered.html
(problem is it does not reach a solution!!!)

Reran System Update Readiness Tool - HotFix for Windows (KB947821) - completed in 75 mins
Looked at file CheckSUR in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS - no errors detected
WU failed except one Windows Defender fix

I found the same invalid environment variable;
CLASSPATH .;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip <SYSTEM>
. . . and removed '.;'

Restart - looks OK
Tried Windows Update and same error
Dead end.

Somewhere I found this site : http://www.carrona.org/winupdat.html ---> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/wuc.htm
Error code 8007010B = 'Directory name is invalid'
Looking through WindowsUpdate.log ;

11-11-25 15:45:56:520 2108 e74 Handler Installing self-contained with source=C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\93cb07d2957fda98d5d03ffc6bdadc8b\ie9-windows6.0-kb2586448-x86.cab, workingdir=C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\93cb07d2957fda98d5d03ffc6bdadc8b\inst
2011-11-25 15:47:26:324 2108 9b4 Handler FATAL: CBS called Error with 0x8007010b,

Source directory exists but work directory doesnt.
Tried creating work directory and rerun, same error.

I've also tried the manual stop and restart of Windows Update described on this page and ran into problems.
'net stop cryptsvc' failed with 'The requested pause, continue, or stop is not valid for this service' and received an 'Access Denied' message when I tried to rename directory Catroot2 even when running as administrator.

So I've raised a MS Support Request but its Thanksgiving I believe (don't have that holiday here) so no help there till next week.

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy the turkey! . .. . . . Ben

Edited by YellowBelly, 25 November 2011 - 02:06 PM.

#6 YellowBelly

YellowBelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

Anyone have any suggestions about this?

Microsoft Support have been very slow and have failed to find the solution.

I have since found a virus within a Java directory, the details of which I can no longer find within ZoneAlarm it was a few days ago and the log has been archived (not impressed with ZA).

Any help appreciated. . . . Ben

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

I would recommend that you run a scan with Malwarebytes and then post for us the log. It could be malware stopping you from being able o update. Some trojans and even rogues block access to WUA.

#8 YellowBelly

YellowBelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

Hi,
I have a purchased copy of Malwarebytes which has been running since before the problem started. Have run full scan, nothing found, log below.
I cannot find the log entry for the virus that ZoneAlarm found (another negative comment on ZA) but the risk level was high.
With MS Support we are having problems manually running fixes and updates.
Worried this is still a virus/malware problem that might still be active.
Ideas? Post on virus forum?

. . . . Ben

-- -----------------------------
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 8307

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

04/12/2011 17:46:47
mbam-log-2011-12-04 (17-46-46).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 444651
Time elapsed: 4 hour(s), 22 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

#9 YellowBelly

YellowBelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

Since 25/11/2011 we have been trying to fix this problem with the Windows Update Support Team unsuccessfully.

They now believe that this is 'related to system restore protection file corrupted, which affect the update issue' and hence not their area. (sfc /scannow will not run)

Any furthur support will cost me £46 (?) as 'The product ID number you entered is not supported in the country that you have selected' ie. the UK. I guess I shouldn't complain, the machine is over 2 years old and I've had a fair bit of someone's time for nothing so far.

Anyone with an idea how to fix a corrupted system restore protection file then let me know.

. . . Ben

Edited by YellowBelly, 05 January 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#10 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

I've having the exact same problem with the exact same OS. Slightly different error messages, 'product ID in is the wrong country and therefore we can't help you', Microsoft Security Essentials couldn't update itself and trying to use Windows Back Up gave me errors too. Microsoft Support gave me the same advice that I tried already many times and finally I just gave up and replaced MSE with Avast! Antivirus and called it a day. My father ran some kind of recovery file checker tool to see if any important files were corrupted during a malware and rootkit infection. It looked like the base system was okay but it's really not what you want to hear after getting a rootkit. I honestly think that a clean install in order, if you have a way to do it. I don't unfortunately, so either I have to upgrade to Win7 or get an entirely new laptop. <_<

Edited by bitesized1612, 05 January 2012 - 01:53 PM.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#11 YellowBelly

YellowBelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

hey bitsized1612,

Yep, going to Win7 looks like an option. I suggested to the Update Support guy that they might like to give me a deal on an upgrade but no luck. Drat! :wink:

. . . Ben

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

FWIW: Upgrade installs of a new O/S...may not impact known system problems. A clean install would be the preferred method of installing a different O/S.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users