Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD playback out of sync

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kenasam

Kenasam

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

I am a college professor and sometimes during lectures I will show portions of DVDs through the classroom computer. All was fine until a few months ago when suddenly, no matter what disk I put in the computer, the audio is out of sync with the video. I reported this to the campus IT help department who concluded that my disks are at fault and the computer is fine (!!!) All of my DVDs suddenly became faulty at the same time? Not true. The DVDs all work fine at home on my computer with no sync problems whatsoever.

The college campus computers use Windows XP, although I'm not sure which version it is. The college usually does some sort of computer updates in between terms, and the last time they did that some of the previous video software disappeared. The existing software to choose from on the computer is VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player. I don't know if the issue is related to software or not. I keep thinking that there are specific settings that should be put in place in the computer so that DVDs can be properly shown, but I don't know where to look or what to do, and chances are that since I do not have administrative rights for the computer, may be unable to do anything.

I am also wondering that if the college does not rectify this situation, could I connect my laptop computer to the media podium in the classroom or purchase an external DVD drive or DVD player to play a disk from. But, I have no idea if that would rectify any sync problems or if I'd still have the same problem?

I would appreciate any insight or help into this matter. I will be reporting this problem yet again to the college, but am thinking ahead to solutions if nothing gets done. <_<

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

<<...since I do not have administrative rights for the computer...>>

It seesm that, like it or not, there's nothing legally that you can do on a system without admin rights...that might overcome your situation.

<<I am also wondering that if the college does not rectify this situation, could I connect my laptop computer to the media podium...>>

That's a question that can only be answered by the university authorities.

I will say that the obvious approach that I would take...I would start with running the chkdsk /r command...and running the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows...in an effort to further define the problem.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot.

The system will execute the command and then boot into XP on completion.

Louis

#3 Kenasam

Kenasam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

<<...since I do not have administrative rights for the computer...>>

It seesm that, like it or not, there's nothing legally that you can do on a system without admin rights...that might overcome your situation.

<<I am also wondering that if the college does not rectify this situation, could I connect my laptop computer to the media podium...>>

That's a question that can only be answered by the university authorities.

I will say that the obvious approach that I would take...I would start with running the chkdsk /r command...and running the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows...in an effort to further define the problem.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot.

The system will execute the command and then boot into XP on completion.

Louis

Thanks for your insight--I'll see what I can do the next time I'm on campus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users