Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solid state drive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 harmank70

harmank70

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

Built a system about 8 months ago. Seemed to be getting a little slow opening programs. I decided to reload windows 7

When i got to the install screen i formated both partitions and it sayed that i could not install windows to this disk because "Disk may fail soon"
I did get it to load on the disk but dont trust it now.

Should i get a solid state drive for the os to go on and a storage drive for everything else?What drives would be good for this setup?

This computer is used as a media server, and gets lots of use streaming movies.

The mobo now is a ASROCK 890GX EXTREME 3.

Edited by harmank70, 24 November 2011 - 10:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

I would do three things:

a. Move all valued data from the hard drive to a known good storage medium...I like hard drives.

b. Take the error message at face value mentally.

c. Run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive, after I've accepted the fact that the error message is designed to give me time to move important data from the suspected failing drive.

<<Should i get a solid state drive for the os to go on and a storage drive for everything else?What drives would be good for this setup?>>

I'm not sure I understand the questions. Any computer component...may fail...at any time. "Expected useful life" is categorized as such for all man-made objects...because individual items may fail while the majority may not. No one or no thing...can guarantee against failure...short of having replacement components and current backups on hand or readily available.

Louis

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:08 AM

The SSD with OS + hard drive storage setup is pretty common. A 120GB Intel SSD would do but first we need to know your budget.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 harmank70

harmank70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

Well i rma'd the 750gb western digital hard drive it was only 10 months old. Supposed to get a warranty drive in 3-5 days. (I cant believe how much the drives went up)

My budget for the ssd would be under 200.00

My hard drive is in constant use as i use it for a media server. Would the media serving program go on the ssd? Or just the Os?

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

The OS and the media serving program would go on the SSD.

Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5 2.5" 120GB - $190

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Not to mention that the Intel 320 Series has a 5 year warranty.I am using them in three computers Plus a build I did for my Brother. They are a good choice. Don't forget to update the firmware if needed. Applies to All brands of SSDs BTW.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:44 AM

I only prefer Intel SSD because it is reliable and warranty.

>Michael 

#8 harmank70

harmank70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

Ok i purchased the Intel 320 SSD 120 gig. I see a lot of tips and tweaks on the net. Is there anything other then enabling trim that should be done. The tips im referring to is here. So many conflicting opinions.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

If you use Windows 7, TRIM is already active once the OS detects an SSD. The Intel toolbox included with the SSD should do most of those tips. Make sure the firmware on the SSD is up-to-date before you use it extensively.

3939.png

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

As DJBPace07 says. First make sure the firmware is up to date. The original firmware had a nasty bug that occasionally would reset the drive to 8Mb and only a secure erase would restore it to functionality.

I used mine for months with no problems and others that I know of had no problems either, however it never hurts to be careful.

I did all of mine BTW. The only optimizing I did was what was done by the Intel SSD toolbox and making sure the Drive controller was set to AHCI mode. If it isn't set that way Microsoft has a FixIt for me that makes the needed changes.

If it is going to be a fresh install just make sure the controller is set in the BIOS to AHCI then install. Windows 7 will take care of most things you need to worry about and the toolbox will do the rest.

Tell Us how you like the SSD once you get it up and running. My thoughts are once you go SSD you never want to go back. For data 7200 RPM is OK but for OS the SSD is great. It will even speed up virtual memory speed if you leave that there.

Also try and keep it under 3/4 used. That gives wear leveling more room to work and extend the drive life.

You also might look at Overprovisioning on a SSD:
http://www.micronblogs.com/2009/04/overprovisioning-give-a-little-get-a-lot/
BTW you already have a 8Gb spare space allocated. That is why it is 120Gb not 128Gb.

You can get the benefits of overprovisioning by keeping the drive with free space and still have the space for temp use if needed.

Edited by rotor123, 27 December 2011 - 05:53 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 harmank70

harmank70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Just installed my Intel 320 120 gig ssd. Hard to imagine how much a traditional hdd slows down your computer. What an amazine differance. Thanks to everyone for your help on choosing.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

Don't forget to be sure you are on the latest firmware and to install the Intel SSD toolbox. The Toolbox has an optimization section as well as Intel recommending to use it once a week.
In the "Intel SSD management Tools" section They recommend running the "Intel SSD Optimizer" Once a week and as a one time thing the "System Configuration Tuner"

Enjoy
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 January 2012 - 10:42 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#13 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

SSD tweaks and optimizations for Windows 7.

Very comprehensive tutorial there.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Would you want to go back to no SSD now that you have used one?

The way I look at it now the Hard drive is waiting for the CPU rather than the CPU being bottlenecked by a slow (relatively) hard drive.

Best Regards
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users