Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shuts down while playing a game

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nudetayne

nudetayne

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

When I play newer games on high settings my computer shuts down. It doesn't do this when it is on battery power. I don't think it's over heating because the air coming out of the back of it isn't hot.
My laptops specs are
Processor: Intel Core i7 M640 2.8GHz
Memory: 4GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M
if you need more info let me know
What can i do so i can play games on higher settings.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

Make/model of the system please.
If it is a laptop it isnt custom made

Exactly what games?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 nudetayne

nudetayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

its a Sager W86CU and it has happened in starcraft 2, Skyrim, Dead Islad, and as of today star wars the old republic. sorry for the late reply

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

Still under warranty?

Keep in mind that most laptops the processor runs slower on battery and thus cooler.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 westom

westom

• Banned
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

its a Sager W86CU

If the manufacturer is a more responsible one, then he has provided comprehensive hardware diagnostics for free. These diagnostics are for solving problems exactly like yours. Will test each component or subsystem. And provide numbers that say why that one part is defective.

All manufacturers have these. Only some will bother to provide those diagnostics also to customers on the hard drive, on a provided CD, and on their web site. Otherwise, third party diagnostics may be required.

Also provide facts stores in the system event logs and from Device Manager. That is where Windows reports hardware problems that is then ignores and works around. The problem may have exists long ago. Only just recently got so bad that even Windows could not longer work around it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users